Tiiming of hatch if our chicken stays broody

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Sabrina24, Jun 11, 2016.

1. Sabrina24

Sabrina24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    Yesterday afternoon I noticed one of our black Australorps was in the nest box. When she was still there at night we put her on the roost and noticed that she has already pulled out her feathers. She has been in the box all day and has pulled out more feathers. Our Plymouth Rock went broody last summer a couple times and we knew we weren't in a good time/place to have chicks so we broke her of it. But I think we are ready this year. The only thing is that we have a 3 day trip planned for 3.5 weeks from now. I would hate to not be here and have anything go wrong. We will have family stopping by twice a day to feed the pigs while we are gone, but we'd rather be here. Should we keep pulling eggs from under her for a few days or let her sit now and hope they hatch before we leave? We have had layers for 2 years but we have always gotten them at 4-8 months old so this would be our first time raising chicks. My aunt has an incubator we could borrow if needed, but we'd like the mother to do the hatching if possible because we have heard introducing any chicks to the flock would easier this way. Thank you for any infomation/help!

2. Sabrina24

Sabrina24 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 27, 2015
    Forgot to say that I know it is a 21 day incubation period. But I'm not sure if that would start today or in a couple days. We took the eggs out last night there, but right now she is sitting on 2 eggs. We'd like it to be about 6 eggs which we should be able to get tomorrow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by