Tile floor or wood shavings in coop?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CDKAT, Sep 29, 2013.

1. CDKAT

CDKAT New Egg

Sep 22, 2010
    HOMOSASSA
    My coop has a tile floor. Currently I use wood shavings in the coop but I am wondering if I can leave it bare. Cleaning now involves removing the old shavings, washing the floor then replacing the shavings. My thought is if I leave it bare I can keep it cleaner by washing it every few days. I live in Florida if that is a factor. Any thoughts?

2. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    Hi! Welcome to BYC!

My coop has a tile floor, I put PDZ/stall fresh on it. Then I just scoop with a kitty litter scooper and put it in the compost pile. You don't have to change it, just add PDZ as needed. It keeps my coop smelling nice.

3. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    Well you could leave it bare. There are people who use poop boards under the roosts and there are many variations of them.

I use vinyl flooring because it was priced low and over the top I use deep litter pine shavings. Every week I use a flat shovel and push out the dirty pine shavings, hose off the floor and let it dry then I replace the deep litter. The vinyl makes this job really easy. My other coops do not have the vinyl and I have to scrub more.

Hope that helps
    Caroline

4. CDKAT

CDKAT New Egg

Sep 22, 2010
    HOMOSASSA
    Thank you both for the advice. Now that I know the bedding is for cleanliness only I may experiment bare, bare w/pdz under roost.

5. mrchicks

mrchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2013
    Wisconsin
    You're welcome. [​IMG] Just choose what is easiest for you. Then you have less time cleaning, and more time to hang out with your chickens.

6. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Bare will just make it harder to keep clean.
    The litter is there to help absorb excess moisture, and make it EASIER to clean, as well as more sanitary for the birds

7. Jewelwing

Jewelwing Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2013
    East Central Illinois
    I thought the idea of the deep litter method was that you only need to clean it out once or twice a year? I have a vinyl floor (only had my birds in the coop for a few weeks - my first flock), with pine shavings over it. I was planning to just add more and more pine shavings over the winter and see what it's like in the spring. From what I understood, this way the pine shavings and chicken poop can compost (producing a little heat, which helps in the winter), and you can even get the chickens to turn it over by tossing in some scratch grains and letting them go at it.

Anyway, that's my plan...

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
  8. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Quote: That's correct

Quote: If it's TRULY "composting", your coop is too wet, although it will "break down" somewhat over time

Last edited: Oct 1, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  9. Baker Farm

Baker Farm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Ontario, CANADA
    My coop has vinyl flooring and I've been doing deep litter with pine shavings. I haven't cleaned it since spring, it doesn't smell, and its so dry you wouldn't believe it.
    It definitely isn't composting, but it doesn't look like its full of poop either... Almost breaks down into dry dirt.
    Ill be cleaning it before winter, but I've been happy with deep litter. Cleaning a coop daily is too much like looking after cats. Haha.

10. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Baker Farm, I agree completely! I've got rubber stall mats over old concrete, with shavings over that. I clean it out twice a year, can't scrub it out, just empty , scrape, add Sevin powder, then new shavings. Add more shavings and turn it over sometimes, add scratch so the birds work it over themselves every day or so. Stays dry and works fine. Daily cleaning? I'm too lazy! Mary

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by