Time between chirping in pipping

silkienewbiegurl

Songster
13 Years
Dec 31, 2008
Help! I'm wigging out!
hit.gif

I have 3 silkie eggs under a broody and I heard chirping in one egg at 8:00 am this morning and NO chirping or pipping since. It's 12 hrs later! Is that unusual? I am so worried it's dead! I've read that chicks pip around 6-12 hrs later (one online source said 48 hrs).

Anyone have more info about the time between chirping and pipping?
hu.gif
. It is Day 19. Help, I need to sleep tonight!
hit.gif

Hi! Just wanted to share this thread with those of you that are wondering how long it takes between internal pipping (chirping) and external pipping. https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=303882 and check out posts #3 and #11 for reference info.

Online sources say it takes anywhere from 2 to 48 hrs (edit: or as much as 3 days!) so don't panic like I did!
big_smile.png
Apparently, the chicks NEED for the carbon dioxide to build up in the egg to pip. And, the lack of sound is no indication of well-being since many folks report no chirping before hatching and that it is natural for the chick to rest for long period of time ... often HOURS! (Best to follow rusytswoman's advice and just relax!
clap.gif
In fact, I did indeed wake up to pipped eggs!)
celebrate.gif

Hope this helps other newbies out there!

Last edited:
You will most likely see a pip when you wake up. Some make noise after they internally pip and then rest up for the actual pip part!

Sleep well and let us know how many pips you have in the morning.

Quote:
Thanks! I guess I just needed someone to tell me not to panic. Just seemed impossible for a chick to breathe that long while inside an egg.

HI kathyinmo! Thanks for your support too! All 3 silkie chicks hatched and are doing well with their 2 broody mommies. It actually took 31 hrs for the first chick to go from chirping (internal pip) to external pipping! And then, another 8 hrs to hatch! Not knowing what to expect, it was stressful! But I'm glad all three made it.
big_smile.png
This one is little Camellia. I think she's splash-colored.

20375_20100303_peeking.jpg

Back
Top Bottom