Time between eggs hatching...?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CowgirlMama, Feb 7, 2012.

1. CowgirlMama

CowgirlMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Ok- so I had 7 eggs under my broody hen. One hatched this morning (YAY!!), but the other six don't even seem to have pipped yet... is this typical for them to hatch so far apart (the eggs may have been collected one day apart, but were all set under the hen on the same day)? I candled them around day 10 and all 7 seemed to have movement etc... I'm just curious... I'm hoping I end up with more than one baby...

2. CowgirlMama

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Ok- just came in from checking, and there is at least one chick peeping in the shell... how long do I wait before I "help"? I can't see any pipping, but they are in a cat carrier under my nesting boxes and its kinda dark in there...

3. I quite often get one chick a day early so not to worry. Your chick is an 'early bird'! [​IMG]

4. CowgirlMama

Feb 23, 2011
    Baker City, Oregon
    Thanks- I forgot to mention today is day 22... (unless I counted wrong!) I did read on here somewhere that someone said their eggs (using an incubator I think) is usually around day 26.... This is our first time hatching eggs, and its been a little cold and we've had issues with eggs (I started the hen with 13 eggs!) so I'm a little cautious!! :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by