Time between squatting and laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 3 Chicks, Dec 11, 2012.

1. 3 Chicks

3 Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2012
    My chickens are 29 weeks old. They started squatting over the weekend. How long did it take your chickens after squatting to lay eggs? I can hardly wait!!

Thanks

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I have noticed within a couple weeks usually.

3. 3 Chicks

Jul 18, 2012
    Thanks, ChickensAre Sweet! Let the countdown begin!!!

4. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

This time of year you might need to provide artificial light for them to get good laying- depends. 14 hours a day is good from what I have read.

I am getting 9 eggs a day out of 16 Orpingtons, who are about 11 months old. I am giving them 100 watts of light from 4 am to 7 am. We have about 8 hours of daylight now, starting at around 8 am.

But with some breeds they might not start up until spring from what I have read- especially the smaller breeds. "Good winter layers" is what you usually hear about Buff Orpingtons and I suppose they do lay fine, but not as good as the Sex Links.

I hope you get some eggs!!!! I definitely would just wait and see what happens with your girls.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2012
  5. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    Mine it took about a week after I first saw the squat [​IMG]

6. 3 Chicks

Jul 18, 2012
    I can answer my own question!!!!! I got my first egg yesterday.......6 days after squatting. Sooooo exciting![​IMG]

7. Crafty-Duck

Crafty-Duck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    Lucky Duck Pond
    [​IMG]That squat is the best sign that you have about a week left to wait. Congrats[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

8. JulieNKC

JulieNKC Overrun With Chickens

Sep 25, 2010
    Kansas City
    Congrats!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by