Time flies! My babies are already 3 & 4 weeks old :(

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Robin'sBrood, Apr 8, 2009.

1. Robin'sBrood

Robin'sBrood Flock Mistress

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I can't believe how fast the time has gone and how big some of my chicks have gotten already. It's bittersweet... I'm looking forward to the day when they can experience the "outside world" and have fresh air, get to scratch in the dirt, etc. but at the same time, I'm going to miss them being tiny babies. Chickhood goes by so fast. [​IMG]

Anyway, here are my 3 and 4 week old babies... (Please excuse the filthy brooders, I was gone almost all day and didn't get a chance to clean them. They will get clean water before I go to bed though.)

28 day old EE and New Hampshire Red, 23 day old Silver Lakenvelder(?) & mystery white chick (Leghorn? White Rock? [​IMG] )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Silver Lakenvelder in the pic above (Teeny) has a sister/brother (Tiny) who doesn't seem to be growing at all. I was worried about her yesterday because she seemed weak and the crazy wild EE and NHR were knocking her over a lot, so I have put her in her own bedroom for a couple of days... just to make sure she able to eat and drink and stay good and warm close to the heat lamp. Here's her bedroom where she can see and hear the other chicks but has extra safety.
    [​IMG]

She is so very small that I'm beginning to wonder if she and Teeny are bantams even though the TSC I got them from said they were standards. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here are 3 week old Teeny & Tiny on my lap a couple of days ago. Do they look like standards, or bantams? [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

And last, but not least, here are my three 23 day old Cornish Rocks. I believe there are 2 pullets and 1 cockerel (on right) in this group. They have been separated, not only because they are MESSY, MESSY chicks, but so I can restrict their food intake in hopes of slowing their growth some.
    [​IMG]

I [​IMG] my chicken babies, all of them, and that includes my 1 year old babies too. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
  2. Up-the-Creek

Up-the-Creek Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    West Virginia
    Awwwwwww! They are sooooo cute! I love babies! [​IMG]

3. b.hromada

b.hromada Flock Mistress

Awwww, I just love 'em. Your year olds are just beautiful!! [​IMG]

4. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Thank you both. I didn't love my 1 year old roo quite as much at 6:45 this morning when he wouldn't SHUT UP! [​IMG]

5. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i would like to see the legs and the comb up close if possible. what color are the legs?
    what shape comb?

6. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Okay, give me a few minutes.... [​IMG]

7. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    This is about the best head shot I could get, Pipsqueak wouldn't hold still.

White legs & small comb
    [​IMG]

Side view
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 9, 2009
  8. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i think the legs would be more yellow if a leghorn.

hmmm. i guess time will tell.

the legs may turn still. keep posting as it grows and we can help more. [​IMG]

9. Lobzi

Lobzi Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a mystery pure white baby too. I came from a solid gray hen and either of two roos I have. Im hoping it is from my Faverolle.
    [​IMG]

10. Robin'sBrood

May 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Quote:Hmmm, maybe it's a White Rock then. [​IMG] Or, God forbid, a runty Cornish Rock. Hope not! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by