Time for a rooster brag story!!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by luvmychicknkids, Apr 5, 2009.

1. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    Mr roo, Hansel, is the most awesome roo anywhere. Really, he is. [​IMG] Yesterday the chickies were having happy chicken freerange time. I was sitting on the porch of their coop watching them when Hansel comes running to me, stopped at my feet and stands there, looking up and making the most awful racket. All the girls came running to him and started doing the same. Suddenly he made yet a different noise and every one of the girls instantly filed into the coop like little school kids....he appeared to "count" them and then followed them in. I finally looked up (DUH ME!!!!) and flying right above my head was a hawk!!!! This little darling saved his girls and it appears was trying to protect ME, too!!! Oh how I love the little (HUGE) guy!

[​IMG]

2. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    [​IMG]

3. CityClucks

CityClucks The Center of a 50 Mile Radius

Jan 31, 2009
    Tulsa, OK
    You are so lucky that hawk didn't get you - and after your wonderful Hansel plainly warned you of the threat!

Thanks for sharing this story - it's good to hear about such a great rooster!

4. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    LOL...yes I know. Poor little guy, I guess he can only do so much to protect all his ladies. [​IMG] The only thing that concerned me was that I, OBVIOUSLY, have not done enough to convince him I am top roo!!!

I love sharing when they are good. There are so many bad roo stories (and bad roos, I HAD one) that a good roo story is always nice. [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2009
  5. Missouri Maiden

Missouri Maiden Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Southwest Missouri
    Aww that's so sweet! [​IMG]

6. Mesa

Mesa Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2008
    New Mexico
    What a man!
    I cant wait until my new roos get a bit older. My girls need a tough protector.

My one and only roo grew up to be a mean ole sucker. Me constantly attacked me!

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    [​IMG] Hansel

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

You should of listened and filed into the coop with the rest of the girls. [​IMG]

Imp-Go Hansel!

9. Chicks R Friends NOT Food

Chicks R Friends NOT Food Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Chariho RI
    That's adorable! This is why I love chickens, they are soo darn cute!

10. chickenbuddy

chickenbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2008
    [​IMG] sweet! I want a roo like that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by