1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Time for hard boiled eggs?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by sadies chicks, May 14, 2011.

1. sadies chicks

sadies chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    My chicks are about 10 weeks old now, I am wondering when I can start feeding them cottage cheese, hard boiled eggs, etc. I am assuming not until they are laying?? [​IMG]

Thanks!

2. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    I gave my chickies hard boiled and scrambled eggs around 3 weeks [​IMG] They love it!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep, even younger. My week olds gobbled up some eggwhites today. Just in moderation on the milk products.

4. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    At ten weeks then can have a variety of treats as long as they have grit. [​IMG]

5. sadies chicks

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Quote:Well dang they have been missing out! [​IMG] Great, I have some left over easter eggs! [​IMG] For some reason I thought they couldn't have that stuff until they started laying...too much calcium is what I heard, but I will take all of your expert advice!! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  6. mommyofthreewithchicks

mommyofthreewithchicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2010
    Minnesota
    I look at their size before I start giving my chicks anything extra. Always give them grit if you are giving them something besides chick starter so they can chew it. Right now I have some small 8 week chicks that I have not started to give "treats". When I do give treats I start out small like perhaps once a week (really depends on the week as my children run wild with the giving them weeds during the summer since they don't have to ask me once I start giving them treats).

7. Nikkumz

Nikkumz Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2011
    Spanaway,WA
    Ya, and just strait scrambled eggs....dont add any milk to it for them [​IMG]

8. sadies chicks

Apr 19, 2011
    Northwest
    Will do! These kids are already outside and old pros at the treats [​IMG] They will only get eggs, no diary [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by