Time for Lockdown....how long do I keep chicks in bator after hatching

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ventura974, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Ventura974

Ventura974 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    New England
    Greetings BYC friends after the whole ordeal of losing power and being worried about my eggs everything turned out ok. I candled eggs several times and they seemed ok. My question is once I set my eggs on lock down how long do I keep the chicks in the incubator after they hatch? Also after they hatch do I feed them starter/grower crumble right away or should I wait? or should I feed them something else? All of your helpful tips are appreciated. Thanks.

2. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    leave them in till they're mostly dried. have your brooder warmed up and ready to go before transferring them over.

they are able to go for 3-4 days on their yolk sacs alone, but we have crumble available immediately upon placement in the brooder, as well as water.

some add electrolytes and/or sugar to the water. we just use plain old water.

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Some people leave the chicks in their incubators to dry out, I personally take them out when they hatch and their shells and put them in a nice warm brooder. I keep the brooder between 95 and 99 degrees. Just my opinion. My hatches have been fine...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by