Time for planting chicken forage blend!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by realsis, Feb 25, 2016.

1. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    just planted my chicken forage blend.This year it's ryegrass, buckwheat,millet,red clover, white clover, strawberry clovers, peas,and alfalfa, all mixed together. This is the 3rd year I've done a forage blend and they love it! it's high in omega 3 and great for the eggs. after they eat down the run I usually plant a few flats they can eat off of. I try to keep it coming from spring to fall. of course planting seasons very depending on where you live but here in California it's 70 degrees already and time to plant! How about you? Do you plant for your chickens??if yes what do you grow for them? also when do you start?

2. vanita75650

vanita75650 New Egg

Dec 4, 2013
    I want to plant some milo for the birds to graze. Can I plant milo feed in place of milo seed, or is there a difference?

3. KrisCVT

KrisCVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    MA
    Sounds like a great idea- any idea what I would plant in Massachusetts?? Where do you get a seed mix like that to plant?

4. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    Hi this year I bought this chicken forage blend online from urban farmers. site is www.ufseeds.com. phone 1-317-600-2807. They are in Westfield IN. Also, these seeds have A 95% germination rate! in the past I've bought my forage blend online from pleasant valley. I went with this new blend this year for the peas. I'm sure it can grow well in your area with a little later planting date as your spring hits. even if you just plant flats or pots at a time they will go absolutely crazy for it! it's also high in omega 3 and makes eggs better! :) in the search just put chicken forage blend an you will find it. :)

Last edited: Feb 25, 2016
  5. realsis

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    if the feed is NOT cut and whole none GMO seed it will grow. I've accidentally grown plants from my girls organic non GMO feed. I've had wheat come up and other grains spilled. but if it's cut the seeds or they have been treated they likely won't grow. Hope this helps a bit. give it a go if your unsure and "test" plant a bit to see if it comes up. can't hurt to try :)

6. KrisCVT

KrisCVT Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2015
    MA
    Thanks! I just ordered some from them- along with a bunch of other seeds for my garden. Good prices.

7. littlejohnacres

littlejohnacres Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2016
    Casstown, Ohio
    New at this! Do you just plant it in the ground or in containers?

8. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    I grow trays of wheat-grass for mine. They love it! In the past I have planted a small run in wheat for them.

[​IMG]

Blessings -

~ Aspen

9. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    Oh that looks like fun!

10. Mrs. Fluffy Puffy

Mrs. Fluffy Puffy Fluffy Feather Farm

Jan 26, 2010
    Texas, Panhandle
    In the process of switching my birds over to just wheatgrass. It's very cost efficient, nutritious, a little bit of work, but worth it. :)
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by