Time for the coop...or is it?

Wxguru

Chirping
5 Years
Sep 2, 2014
ARKANSAS
Hello everyone....
I got my little beauties on October 27th. They will be 3 months old this Sunday! The smallest weighs in at about 3lbs and 2 oz, with the largest being 3lbs and 9 ozs. All are completely feathered out,and starting to crowd each other in the brooder. There are 6 girls in a 8X3 brooder, so overall...plenty of room.
Here is the million dollar question I have....I am ready to put them in the coop, as I will have it done this weekend for them. I am in C Arkansas and we are only getting into the 20's. Should I be good to go without giving them supplemental heat? They have been in our garage this entire time, and when we were in the single digits at night, it was in the upper 30's in the garage, and they were fine.
I am assuming they will be perfectly fine, but looking for the experts to give me the down and dirty...yea or nay? What say you?

I am not an expert.. I got my chicks in April, so they are 9 months old. I have insulation inside my coop,,with wood over it.
I would suggest a heat lamp in the coop. their water might freeze over night. mine does so I give them new water each day along with the electro lites & vitamins in their water. Put cabbage handing in their coop. have some perches as they love to hang up there at night. I have a timer on my heat lamp so it goes on twice in 24 hrs. make sure plenty of hay/or shavings in the cages and in the nesting boxes.

Go for it! Really, don't be afraid. They are plenty old enough to move into the coop without any heat. They know enough to roost close together so they heat each other. Chickens give off a lot of heat, believe me.

Their feathers are all grown in by three-months, so it's like each is outfitted in her own down jacket. They can handle it! You're the one who needs to adapt!

I think your chicks will just fine if you put them into a coop. If it gets below 20 degrees I would put a heating lamp in the coop though (a red heating bulb is best).

Back
Top Bottom