Time for the coop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CharlieW, Aug 3, 2013.

1. CharlieW

CharlieW New Egg

Jan 27, 2012
    NE PA
    My girls are almost 4 weeks old and outgrowing the brooder. Can't believe how rowdy they are and big. They appear to be mostly feathered except for some down on the back of their necks and under their butt. The last few nights have been cool mid 60's @ night. Unusual for here in august, but should start picking up again soon. Any advice? Thanks.

2. Affirmative. Time for the coop. You may want to put a light in the coop at night, NOT for heat but for comfort. It keeps them from peeping so loud.

Wish ya the best.

3. FergieChick

FergieChick Out Of The Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    Frederick, Maryland
    Good to read. I'm hoping to put my girls out at 4 weeks old and I also live in the mid-atlantic. Hoping for warmer temps in the next few weeks so I can get them in the coop!

Thanks!

4. buttercup95

buttercup95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Yep, I agree time for a coop and take extra care for predators as they're still young the light might even keep those away too.

5. whittychick

whittychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    Cape cod
    My chicks are about 3 weeks old...you think they are too young to go outside?? They are too big for brooder and are flying around when they get the chance!

6. CharlieW

CharlieW New Egg

Jan 27, 2012
    NE PA
    Thanks for the advice! They are getting pretty boisterous.

7. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali
    Well if it's warm enough at night I would think they'd be fine. As long as you take extra care for predators. Even rats can take out a chick.

8. Make sure there is no draft in your coop if you put em out before 4 weeks and the temps are cool. Put a heat lamp in your coop for heat and comfort. Because of where you are at you should be ok as long as temps don't get too cool.

Wish the best

9. buttercup95

Jul 24, 2013
    Northern Cali

If you're going to put a heat lamp please follow the attached link on fire safety

Fire Safety in your Chicken Coop & Barn - IMPORTANT!

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

The temperature requirement for chicks is 90-95 degrees the first week of life and decrease by 5 degrees per week until fully feathered, usually around 6 weeks of age.

Of course mama hens take their chicks out and about in all kinds of weather but they still have the ability to get under her for warming sessions. So what I like to do is offer a 100 watt bulb for them when they are in that almost fully feathered phase...if they need it they have it.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by