Time for the rooster's to go...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Matilda hen, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Matilda hen

Matilda hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2012
    Ireland
    My Coop
    Well , my hen hatched egg's in summer , and 3 were rooster's. 1 Of the cockeral's is very placid , and dosnt make sounds , or fight , he's a little bit handicapped , as i think he was trapped in the shell. But the other two are vicious , and wont stop fighting , at eachother's necks 24/7 , and i wouldnt mind , but I dont know what to so with them....no-one want's two small , young , cross=bred rooster's , who are pretty vicious twoard's anything except human's! And they ar'nt going to grow to a huge size , so ANY suggestion's would be welcome , they really are pretty , and very unusual.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This is the sad truth of chickens, I'm afraid. The most practical thing to do is find someone who is willing to process and eat them. Even if they are small, if they aren't too old (up to maybe 16 to 20 weeks) they will taste good. You may have to give them away.

You could try putting an ad in our "Free to a good home" forum; I'd put Ireland in the title of your thread. Now and then someone is looking for a roo for their flock. Where I live, there are people who will take one to eat for the free food. We also have a free ad service, Craig's list, that is organized by location, where you would likely find a taker, though you really can't be sure what their fate will be. Maybe you could check with your feed store or post an ad there.

3. Cluky

Cluky Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Chicago
    Time for soup in my opinion. if you are not willing to put up with the fighting typically that is what happens to roosters.

4. Matilda hen

Apr 11, 2012
    Ireland
    My Coop
    Well , that's my problem , all my animals are pet's , and i'd fight tooth and nail to keep them out of harm's way , so i certanley do not want to send them to a doomed fate , usually i give the rooster's to a breeder , or simply keep them , and they remain without fighting , but the breeder has moved to another county , and I was wrong to use a new strain...my old strain never fought , it was very strange , but great! now im stuck with the two boy's , perhap's ill just post like you said flockwatcher and see if i can get someone to take them...Thanks

5. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    There are far worse fates than a quick humane death.

1 person likes this.
  6. dreamcatcherarabians

dreamcatcherarabians Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Stillwater
    Chicken N Dumplings

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Absolutely!

8. Matilda hen

Apr 11, 2012
    Ireland
    My Coop
    yes , i know , but they are my pet's. Killing them is'nt an option , so don't bother commenting with that thankyou!!! And they're hardly common cross's , they're an extremely rare cross.

9. cary 1973

cary 1973 Chillin' With My Peeps

i dont know what kind of space / yard you have but you could always built 2 bacholor pad with a runs and let them live there life out that way maybe give them a hen or two to keep them company if there nice to them. I am like you they are pets and I could never kill them or eat them when my girls where still chicks i had 2 back up plans just in case they turned out to be rooster

one of my back up plans might work for you I had a frind that lived out in rurlal area where roosters are allowed they have no chickens or desire to have birds but said if i built a coop and run and paid for food if one of my girls did turn out to be a rooster It could live its life out there in there home I( the only reason for a run was for own safty cuz of all prdiotor animals. so maybe if you can find some home if you provide small coop and bag of food may let them live there.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  10. Matilda hen

Apr 11, 2012
    Ireland
    My Coop
    Now that's a good idea! I did'nt think of that , and thats an excelent plan , thanks a bunch! I'll try that , im sure anyone would welcome a chicken or two into their fields , i'll keep you updated about that too!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by