1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Time Frame for Pipped Egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SunChick, Mar 29, 2007.

1. SunChick

SunChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    What is the time frame for a pipped egg to finish hatching? I cannot seem to find this info anywhere! Thanks! [​IMG]

2. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I've heard up to 24 hours, but what do I know? [​IMG]

3. akahn01

akahn01 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2007
    Virginia
    what is a pipped egg?

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pipping is when the chick starts to crack out of the egg. The tiniest crack or pinhole is called a pip. I think also it's 24 hours to wait before panic sets in!

5. SunChick

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    only 24 before panic! LOL, panicking NOW, especially since it seems to me the membrane on one looks dry humidity at 78% now...lots of peeping, 6 pipped, some more than others...SIGH Alright I am going for a walk to stay away from the bator! [​IMG]

6. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    24 hours is the average when everything else is right, that it is the hatch date, that the incubator temps were correct and stable.

I've had them pip two days before the hatch date and left them for that 48 hours. Usually the membrane has dried and they need assistance.

7. SunChick

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Actually I kept the temps and humidity pretty stable so proud of myself! Walk did some good, I missed the first one hatch! We heard Loud Peeping when we came in and found a very wet baby learning to find its feet! maybe the other one will get encouraged, though it looks like the membrane has pulled from the shell. Should I assist of leave be? [​IMG]

8. Mama Bird

Mama Bird Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2007
    way cool! [​IMG] hope all goes well! how does it feel mama hen?! [​IMG] [​IMG]

9. SunChick

Feb 23, 2007
    Bel Air, Maryland
    Good I guess! [​IMG] Fussing over my eggs like a "mother hen" [​IMG] LOL. Cluck Cluck Cluck. You should have seen my DH and I earlier, both of us peeping in chorus to the chicks to encourage them. and here I was worried that DH would think I was loony! he pitched in right in to peep at them! [​IMG] hee hee [​IMG] [​IMG]

UPDATE!! #1 hatched around 7pm last night, I woke to 4 peeps this a.m.and 1 still hatching. have another pipped so hopefully it will emerge later today. My salmon EEs are also starting to pip (they were set a day later) hurrah [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 30, 2007
  10. Mama Bird

Mama Bird Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2007
    Thats awsome!! congrats! [​IMG] ya! Thats hillarious that your daughter and you has a peep fest. [​IMG] Dont worry i do it everytime! im just too exited! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by