1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

time I quit hijacking I guess. Mites? Worms?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Gypsi, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

before I merge my flocks. I have to do something. I prepared my coop carefully, never got the outside of the walls painted, but the interior is bright white with minimal places a mite can hide. The perches can be removed and oiled, the floor is rubber pondliner over the painted plywood subfloor, so it can be removed and thoroughly cleaned the the straw comes with it. Nest boxes have some cracks and crevices. I refuse to buy more sevin til I find the can I own. (I keep bees, the fewer pesticides the better) Figure sevin in the wood in the nesting box is a good idea, and fresh straw. Either sevin or DE or sulfur on the straw. (is sulfur safe on chickens?)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have Ivermax injectable 1% Ivermectin left over from my goat (who suicided on Layena), I have Wazine wormer, Sevin, DE, a broom, a rake, bleach and orange oil for the perches.

I got a couple of older birds from a friend who I am quite sure have some kind of mites, they are missing feathers on necks and rears. I put my broody black australorp out there, and now she is missing some feathers around her vent, about a 3 inch circle.. There are 3 of these mature birds, thank goodness in isolation from the main flock, I also have chicken wormer, DE powder, and sevin dust, as well as a coop that needs a good cleaning.

2 drops Ivermax per adult bird under wing? Do or don't do DE or Sevin on the birds at the same time (I put DE in the nesting straw last week). I am thinking that Ivermax eliminates the need for Wazine right now, or might be contraindicated as the combination might kill my chickens. The older girls aren't laying that much right now, and I have 2 to add to the old girl coop, and 12 young birds due to start laying soon, so I'd like to get everyone good and healthy and coops clean, to get all off to a good start.

Any comments appreciated

2. GranmaEm

GranmaEm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Manhattan, NY
    I can only comment on the Ivermectin which my vet advised should be 3 drops (make sure to get onto skin) for small chickens and 5 for large. She said they do not need other worming when this is used.

The concentration you have is pretty high. The solution I have is 0.35%, so 1 drop for a bantam and 2 for the large birds sounds right for your 1% solution.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Gypsi

Got approx 2 drops on skin of each bird. (might be 1, will see if it works) swept old alfalfa and waste out of coop, put fresh in nest box only.

Will wait and see if any irritated skin looks better, and hope to locate my sevin dust just in case.

4. GranmaEm

GranmaEm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2013
    Manhattan, NY
    My chickens took a couple of days to respond and I repeated the dose after 5 days (okayed by the vet). I also cleaned out the coop and dusted with Sevin, fresh bedding. All appears under control here.

5. Gypsi

it worked for me (a bit late posting this)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by