Time in incubator after 1st chick hatches

Discussion in 'Quail' started by sunnychooks, Mar 17, 2017.

1. sunnychooks

sunnychooks Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I hatch chickens and I usually leave the chicks in the bator 2-3 days after the first chick hatches. This has worked well for me for many years with no losses due to keeping them in the bator for that long. Is this the same for Cot chicks? I have a lot that have hatched but it's only the first day of hatch and I don't want to risk opening it too soon.

2. geniash

geniash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    Coturnix chicks should be taken out of the incubator in 24 hours after hatch and introduced to water/food right away. They only have enough nutrients left in the yolk for 24 hours as compared to 3 days for chickens. Happy hatching!

3. sunnychooks

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    Thank you so much for your response! Will there be a problem with chicks that have pipped but not yet hatched when I open the incubator?

4. geniash

geniash Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2016
    Shouldn't be a problem if you do it quick. Don't open it for minutes at a time, but 15-20 seconds should be fine. If you are still concerned, use a spray bottle with a warm water and do a spritz just before you close the incubator. I did this trick with HovaBator and it worked like a charm. With my Brinsea I don't do it because its small and regain humidity pretty fast.

5. sunnychooks

Jul 21, 2007
    NJ
    I'll do that. I have a Sportsman cabinet incubator so I'd have to pull the hatcher out, but I'll do it as quickly as I can and spray the eggs before I close it.
    Thanks again for your help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by