Time it takes to lay an egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mychickenbrood, Oct 11, 2012.

1. mychickenbrood

mychickenbrood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Central Valley CA.
    I wish I had figured out the best search words to use, sooner. I posted on the egg bound thread. Anyway, reading the comments, I can relax now. My Spanish White Face, Sparkle, has been sitting on her nest for well over an hour. She was so much fun to watch, as she went in, then out, then in, then out...finally sat and is not leaving.

Several of the other hens want her nest and have gotten in with her, but she is holding her position. They are wondering out and complaining that she is taking too long. There are plenty of boxes for all, but the end one is a favorite.

I have never had the pleasure of being there when a pullet actually laid her very first egg, so this was a treat for me. My other layers lay brown or tinted eggs, so I will know her's when I see a white one. At least I think that is right. Will have to check. I was hopping I could see it come out, as she has her butt to the opening, but she is taking so long I had to come in and get ready for an appt., but wanted to post her first.

They are such fun.

2. duckie mama

duckie mama Out Of The Brooder

Nov 25, 2009
    kilgore
    your dear sparkle will lay a white gg. Hello colerful egg basket!

3. mychickenbrood

mychickenbrood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2012
    Central Valley CA.
    It turned out to be a slightly tinted white egg. Hummn. I do enjoy all the colors though.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by