Time line of Christmas chicks! PICS!!!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by Fussy8, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Fussy8

Fussy8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    When sick you should always make sure someone is collecting eggs or else you will end up with little surprises...just saying!
    After my surgery I could not physically check on my chooks so...here is my chicks stories! ( 3 weeks in to the hatching) Christmas morning was an experience unlike any other! I (being a new owner of chickens) had raised chicks but never had been there from egg to hatch! I went out to the coop to check on the hens and my rooster like a regular morning! I fed and water them in complete and utter silence. Now if you knew my flock you would be amazed at the peace and quiet that cold Christmas morning, you might even have fallen over in shock. I started over to the blocked off boxes where the two sister hens lay with the precious eggs underneath their warm bodies. As I approached I heard a quiet chirp and a head peeped out next to my spying hand. The white fluff on this babies head was to big for it's body! She was wobbly still as she began burying herself under her adopted mother! I reached under to check the other egg and found the baby was pipping! I helped because of the lack of enthusiasm from the chick with in the egg. The chick ended up passing away 10 minutes after I helped, she/he was to weak and her mother would not take her! I left our polish baby (the one that survived) with her mother and I locked up the coop for the night. The next morning I again went to the coop bubbling with excitement as I lifted the other mothers fluff to find yet another baby peeping at me! I took the four of them in to stay warm!
    [​IMG]
    Noel the pure white crested polish (right) 2 days old and Chick-otay the silver lace wyandotte/WC Polish (left) 1 day old

One week after their hatching I then put their mothers back in the coop! They (the chicks! Mostly Noel!!) were scared and did not let me touch them in any way! We thought that our two chicks were going to be layers just like their mothers! BUT....mother nature has a mind of her own!
    [​IMG]
    A Young rooster bloomed out of the chick I held in my hands! Chick-otay has an attitude of his own! Crazy and unpredictable is what he is! Him and his sister would take turns seeing who could hit their heads on the top of their ten gallon tank and then snuggle up together under the light of their lamp! Oh how i fell in love with him so fast! My rooster (their father and my favorite I should say) Is like a puppy following me around every where and soon i will have two roosters following me around my garden! 2 weeks old!
    [​IMG]
    A Pullet also came from the eggs we hatched! Noel began growing like a weed and was so close to her brother that when I would pick her up she began to cry and her younger brother would FREAK OUT!! She is so sweet yet so crazy I think I know someone else like that... 2 weeks old!

Now they are social and very sweet!! I am so happy to have them! Their futures looked so grim at first! My dad told me I had to find them both homes!! Now that we are moving they are mine!!!
    [​IMG]both 1 month old
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for reading!! [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They are really cute! Love the pics!

3. Fussy8

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    thank you!!!

4. abbey808

abbey808 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2011
    Hawaii
    They are both adorable!! I am glad that you get to keep the cuties. [​IMG] Thanks for sharing pictures of your little ones.

5. Lady Chickadee

Lady Chickadee Rocky Top Silkies

Apr 1, 2011
    Central Kentucky
    Beautiful chickens!! Loved the story!

6. Fussy8

Aug 4, 2011
    Utah
    Thanks everyone!! I think they are cute too!!!!!!! [​IMG]

7. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer