Time Sensitive - What Gender is this BR? Approx. 15+ weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by rugbyrebel, Oct 1, 2013.

1. Pullet

5 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. Cockeral

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. rugbyrebel

rugbyrebel Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    The local animal rescue I used to work for found this bird wandering. No owner has come forward so they've asked if I'd take it. I have tentatively said yes but I can't have any cockerals.

I initially thought it was a pullet but after seeing it in person I'm not so sure. It has a longer body than I would expect, pointy tail and not as "fluffy". The wattles and comb aren't overly developed though. I'm guessing the age to be around 12-15 weeks but still a young bird, so perhaps under 20 (if it is a pullet, it's not laying yet). I have an 8 week old pullet that is much rounder but the age difference doesn't make a good comparison. The 8 week old is much smaller.

Anyway, I have to make a decision by tomorrow - input please!

Thank you

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    My guess would be pullet. The comb is small, and I don't see any hackle or saddle feathers yet. Also, the legs aren't too thick, which is a male trait. In barred birds, males are usually lighter in color than females, and your bird seems to have more feminine barring (more black).

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

It's a pullet. If it were a cockerel, it would have massive comb and wattles by now. It would also have a more bright, distinct barring look to it. Your estimate on the age is on target. The bird is around 15 weeks of age.

4. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    I agree with the others, pullet.

5. rugbyrebel

rugbyrebel Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2013
    Southern Ontario, Canada
    Thank you for all the replies!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by