Time to break-out your Grandmom's best recipe!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by chickenlover50010, Jan 25, 2009.

1. chickenlover50010

chickenlover50010 Kernal Fan Club Member

Jan 19, 2009
    South Jersey
    Hi! This is where everyone can pass down their family tradition recipes to families looking for a new tradition. It can be with egg, chicken, beef, vegetables, anything! There is no limit!! So I will start. It isn't exactly a tradition yet, but everyone in my whole family loves my guacamole. Here it is:

2 Avocados

1 diced medium tomato

chopped cilontro to taste

lime juice to taste

diced onion to taste(optional)

Peel and remove the pit from the avocados. Scoop out avocado into a large bowl. Mash untill creamy(or to a chunky texture, but it will be chunky enough with the tomato). Add in diced tomato, cilontro, lime juice, and onion. Stir to blend in ingrediants evenly. Serve with tortilla chips or with your favorite mexican food.

I am not mexican, but my whole family thinks their food is delicious. I personally don't like onion in mine, but my mom does. So, this is an easily altered dip. Tell everyone about your recipe!!

2. tackyrama

tackyrama Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2008
    Central Minnesota USA
    Here is my mother's old time chicken casserole recipe. It is a great comfort food and not for the faint hearted. It is loaded with carbs and flavor! It is probably handed down from my grandmother and maybe further on than that. It is in her own words, no short cuts here just old fashioned cooking. We had this at meals often growing up and it is delicious.

Grandma Grace's Chicken Casserole
    1 chicken
    1 c flour
    1 c fat from chicken
    3 c milk
    1 c broth from chicken
    3 tbsp bacon fat
    1 c diced onion
    1 tsp baking poeder
    4 eggs beaten
    1 loaf bread

Cook chicken 1 hr until tender. Remove from bones & dice. Grind skin, gizzard etc. and add to chicken. Make sauce of
    flour, fat from chicken, milk & broth. Cook in double boiler
    until thick; add salt if needed.

Make dressing of bread, bacon fat, onions & celery. Moisten with remaining broth from chicken. Add salt & pepper to taste, baking powder & beaten eggs. Place dressing in bottom of well greased baking dish, cover with small amount of sauce then spread chicken over it. Cover with remaining sauce & top with buttered bread crumbs or potato chips. Bake one hour slow oven.

I inherited all her many hundreds of recipies. Many were written in her own hand. Others were given to her from friends and relatives. I am in the process of putting them all on CDs for the rest of the family. It has been fascinating to go over all these recipies from years past. Most of them are from scratch which makes them especially interesting to me. Memories abound and my mouth waters.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by