Time To Change Feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by nancypo, May 31, 2010.

1. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    I still have my 3 girls (about 3- 3/12 months old) on chick starter/crumble and veggies, fruit scraps. When should I switch layers feed? I'm almost out of the scratch and am planning ahead. They're very healthy and happy, but I want to make sure they have good eggs, enough calcium... Thanks!

2. Ms.FuzzyButts

Ms.FuzzyButts Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2009
    North Alabama
    I would wait until they were 5 to 6 months old. Or whenever they start laying. But 3 1/2 months is too soon. Do a search on it. You will read varing opinions, but overwhelming support for the 5 -6 month range.

3. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Someone asked this before and I think that they were advised to keep them on chick until they start to lay...

But I've been wondering myself... since they'll need the layer stuff for the first egg won't they?

So, wouldn't it make sense to start them on it when they could be laying, based on breed?
    Ours I think, Gold Sex Links are poda lay around 16-20 weeks... 16 weeks will be June 21st.
    Should I start them on Layer then, a few days before, or wait until one actually lays?

So, I'll be watching this topic!!

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

Quote:I feed my chicks and my layers Purina Flock Raiser --- believe me, it has what they need to make eggs. If you are worried about the calcium, just put out the oyster shell in a separate dish so that they can eat it if their bodies tell them to. Consuming too much calcium when they aren't laying isn't good for them, that is the problem with feeding "layer" too early.

5. nancypo

nancypo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2010
    Boise
    My Coop
    Thanks. I was wondering that too- wouldn't you ant to start them on layer feed right about the time they sholud start laying so they do have rubbery eggs? I have a red and black sex linked and a rhode island red...

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Quote:I feed my chicks and my layers Purina Flock Raiser --- believe me, it has what they need to make eggs. If you are worried about the calcium, just put out the oyster shell in a separate dish so that they can eat it if their bodies tell them to. Consuming too much calcium when they aren't laying isn't good for them, that is the problem with feeding "layer" too early.

Yup! It's the only thing I feed my birds. Chicks, Layers, Roo, Quail and Guineas. I give them crushed oyster shell if they want it. (Even my dog likes it, lol)

If you want to feed them "Layer" feed. I wouldn't do it until they actually start to lay.

7. PineappleMama

PineappleMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, duh. That should have been obvious, but for some reason it just flew right over my head.

*blush* Thanks Y'all.

8. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I am glad to read this info..I too am a little confused when to switch the food!!

9. Willow's Meadow

Willow's Meadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2010
    you can switch them to purina flock raiser!

10. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I usually keep mine on starter until they move outside, around 4-6 weels old. Then the whole henhouse goes to flockraiser. The chicks still have their own brooder space until they are about 8-10 weeks old. At that point they are out free ranging wtih the hens and can come back to the brooder or coop for food and water with the hens. Sometimes I buy the layer feed pellets in the Fall. But as long as the waste remains minimal I keep everyone on Flockraiser. Unfortunately, in the mountain West we cannot get Flockraiser in pellets, only crumble. So if they start wasting we go back to Layena for a while.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by