Time to change???

Cook1805

In the Brooder
Apr 1, 2018
Southwest Missouri
My chicks are getting to the 6 week mark and I thought I had read that I could feed the Starer/ Grower feed up to 18 weeks. I was looking on my bag and it only recommended to be fed up to 6 weeks. I'm currently feeding Country Lane 18% Chick Starter/Grower Crumbles medicated it's almost time to buy a new bag so I wanted to get some opinions before I buy a new bag.

This is what the bag description is:
"...feed designed to be fed to layer replacement pullets (1 day to 6 weeks old ) and broiler-type chicks ( 1 day old to finish ). Complete nutritionally balanced ration for optimum nutrition. Medicated to provide coccidiosis control. Uniform crumbles to encourage early consumption."

You could put them on Flock Raiser (20%) with grit available in a separate dish, when they start laying Oyster Shells in a separate dish. Or you can continue Starter/Grower, when they're laying age add a dish of OS on the side.

I now purchase a small bag of Medicated Starter to start my chicks off. I ferment the feed and once that bag is done, I switch to FR adding the OS when of age. Haven't had any issues :fl and others do the same. I'm now thinking of starting with FR from the beginning but thinking 18% for growth, 20% when they need the energy for laying.

Back
Top Bottom