Time to clip the wings???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by hanaleimel, Sep 14, 2010.

1. hanaleimel

hanaleimel Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2010
    At what age do you start to clip their wings??? I know how but not sure my hens are about 14 weeks old and they are loving to get into the small trees on my property which are almost 6 feet high and I think they will fly away over my fence. Do it now right??[​IMG]

2. Farmer_Dan

Farmer_Dan Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Seattle
    I always waited for the birds to fly out of the run and those girls get the clip, the rest I didn't bother with, but I don't think there's a specific age, if they have feathers on their wings, they can be cut.

3. Ohhhdear

Ohhhdear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 15, 2010
    West Michigan
    I'd clip before they start flying, because if they get the idea they *can* fly, they will. Do both wings. Wait until they're roosted in their coop for the night, gently pick up each chicken and extend the wing, trimming an inch or so from the 10-12 primary flight feathers.
    Much less fuss than trying to grab a bird on the run in the daylight!

4. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:This is what I do as well. But since yours are adventurous enough to get into tall trees, I would do it now. I also agree with the night time trimming suggestion too. Much less stressful for everyone.

5. jacyjones

jacyjones Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2008
    Aberystwyth, Wales
    We clip all new birds as we get them as we have had problems with trees in the past and also chickens coming in the garden instead of staying in the field. As soon as they can fly then clip!!

6. beachchickie

beachchickie Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2009
    Alabama
    Clip! They are ready

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by