Time to cull? or normal? (video linked)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ginger c., May 19, 2011.

1. ginger c.

ginger c. Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piyGa-JxCSY

My
    wife has posted a couple of threads on our new silkies. This morning, Thelma didn't even bother standing when I walked in. When I pick her up, her head kind of lolls around. Her eyes are closed. She is doing this weird thing with her mouth. You may be able to hear the clicking in the video. Is she snoring? Have a sour crop? dying? I have no clue what to do. I don't want to cull if I don't have to. I have made a fresh batch of Sav-a-chick. When I dip her beak in, she peeps, but then just puts her head back down. I tried giving her some milk... same results.

Yesterday she was up and walking around some. Seriously, for the past few days she has spent most of her time passed out face down in her food dish. Is if possible the crumbles are too big for her? The other silkie seems to be managing fine.

The brooder temp is 90 (they are 8 days old)
    Fresh water
    medicated starter
    pine shavings
    had pasty butt one time, but cleared up

Help.

Thanks,

DH

2. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    im sorry to say but in my experience the chick in the video is dying [​IMG] and there is absolutly nothing more you could do for her...it really is the end stage.

[​IMG]

i hope im wrong, but after seeing it a few times you get to know how it goes [​IMG]
    it sounds almost like fluid has gotten in her lungs (the clicking noise)

Last edited: May 19, 2011
  3. RhodeRunner

RhodeRunner Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2009
    Ashtabula, Ohio
    Sorry, but I have to agree that your chick is dying. If you cull, that will be a means of ending the situation faster.

4. ginger c.

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Thanks RhodeRunner and Spish,

A few minutes after posting this, I walked back in and she was dead.
    I guess this is the down side of owning chicks. [​IMG] At least I didn't have to do it.

Now I have to go get a replacement. We only bought 2 silkies (we have 4 older birds). The other silkie is peeping like mad, looking for her buddy. I feel bad for her.

DH

5. ginger c.

Apr 20, 2011
    Alabama
    Quote:I kind of thought it sounded like fluid too. Any idea how she might have gotten like that? She was very lively for a few days then she just sort of fell off between last night and this morning.
    We have them in a separate brooder next to the older four chicks (4-5 weeks). They all came from the same place. Could that be it? Or is it something else?

Thanks,

DH

6. jcf3202

jcf3202 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sorry she didn't make it. [​IMG]

7. Hollywood Chickens

Hollywood Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Florida
    ginger c. :

Quote:I kind of thought it sounded like fluid too. Any idea how she might have gotten like that? She was very lively for a few days then she just sort of fell off between last night and this morning.
    We have them in a separate brooder next to the older four chicks (4-5 weeks). They all came from the same place. Could that be it? Or is it something else?

Thanks,

DH

[​IMG] I am sorry she didn't make it, it is not your fault at all.​

8. flowergirl60

flowergirl60 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2011
    Austin Tx
    This just made me cry.[​IMG] I'm sorry she didn't make it.[​IMG]

9. Nicolla

Nicolla Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    North Alabama