Time To Cull?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Crickett, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Crickett

Crickett Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    My newest bantam brahma isn't acting like the others. She wants to sleep a lot more than the others, and she walks sort of spraddle-legged. I've checked her for pasty-butt, but haven't found any, and she seems to be not eating or drinking very much. Is there anything I can do? She is one of my favorites ('course they all are) and I'd really hate to lose her.[​IMG] Any advice?

2. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    How old is she? Could she be eggbound? Feel her abdomen and see if it is too firm. Let us know...

3. pinkfeather

pinkfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 3, 2007
    CT
    Hmm, well since it's under raising baby chicks, I'd say something more like Coccidosis (sp?) maybe. [​IMG]

4. Crickett

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    No, she's only a few days old. I just got her yesterday.

5. Crickett

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    What can I do about that? Will the other chicks get it?

6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Quote:Could be, or could be something genetic, or simply shipping stress if it's just a few days old. Cocci come from soil. Some people use a bandaid or tape to hold the legs closer together for spraddle leg. Many would separate it, esp. if it is being picked on, though it will be lonely without at least one other for a companion. Mostly just supportive care and hope it is something it can get over.

7. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Missed the cull part. Your choice. Some will cull any weak or abnormal chick.

8. Crickett

Apr 9, 2009
    Heart of Dixie
    I'd rather NOT cull her if I don't have to, but I really don't want her to suffer needlessly. If this is something she will get over, then I'll just watch her closer. But if it's something that there is no hope for, then I would rather cull her than let her suffer.

9. chickensioux

chickensioux Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Quote:Well that's why my first question was: How old? Sometimes things don't always get posted in the right spot...so it does sound like this one took shipping a little harder than the others. I would put some sugar or vitamins and electrolytes in the water and make sure it is drinking and eating. I have had to force feed little ones, that don't seem to be doing it well enough on their own, with a syringe. I make a soup out of some feed and sugar water and put small blops at a time in their mouth.
    If it is spraddle legged, you can tape it's legs. Lots of threads on hear on this.
    Make sure they are on paper towels or pine bedding so that they get good footing.
    If they have not been outside, I don't think it would be coccidia.
    Good luck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by