time to cull?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pgrenna81, Aug 16, 2014.

1. pgrenna81

pgrenna81 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Monson,Ma
    I have a 5- month old silkie who seems to either broken her leg at the hip or dislocated it, either way after a couple of weeks with isolation she seems to be getting worse. Her leg now sticks out straight and stiff and she doesn't seem to be interested in food or water I'm not sure what else to do but cull her at this point, I have 7 other chickens, dog, cat and most importantly a 3- year old daughter and a newborn due any day now so there's only so much of my time to go around. Here's a picture of her this afternoon you can see the leg, she is so weak now too.
    . I[​IMG]

2. Chickie Baby

Chickie Baby Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2014
    Only you know when that time comes. That decision is hard to do, trust me I known all too well. Do you know that she broke it or did this start with a limp one day?

3. pgrenna81

Mar 25, 2014
    Monson,Ma
    I believe it was a larger cockerel who was bullying everyone, I culled him last weekend and the girls are much happier. Most of the chickens I would have no trouble but the silkies are more like pets to my daughter and I feel bad for the other silkie, they've been together since day 1.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think getting worse is a sign that it's time to cull. Sorry.

5. pgrenna81

Mar 25, 2014
    Monson,Ma
    Culled her tonight as quickly and respectfully as possible, she hadn't eaten in a couple days and it was time.

6. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Sorry for your loss, at least she isn't suffering anymore. I agree silkies are wonderful creatures

7. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Sorry. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by