Time to decide...do I egg carton or not?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Vamp-A-Billy Princess, May 9, 2008.

1. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Vamp-A-Billy Princess Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Okay guys its day 17 time for the big decision. Do I put em in a carton or not? I have 13 eggs. I thought about putting some in and some not...can't decide. I have some bantams and some standards. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. love-my-wolves

love-my-wolves Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Front Royal, VA
    I did, and I loved it!! The only problem I had was my homemade bator was so small, the new babies slept over the pipped eggs! I couldn't see!! But cleanup was a snap, and the babies came out quickly and cleanly. If I hatch again, I will do it again!!! Good luck! Steph

3. McGoo

McGoo Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] give half of them a shot. See what happens and then next time you'll be able to decide. I used it, but had a lousy hatch... though not related to the cartons.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. Mom 2em All

Mom 2em All Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Vamp-a-Billy,

I am right there with you! My eggs are on Day 18 today...and I took them out of the incubator with the automatic turner-so I could set 17 Australorps in there, and set them into a very big egg carton (holds 36 I think?) in another LG, temp. ready. I put six eggs in....hoping a few hatch. These are all that are left out of ten. I used the egg carton but I didnt put them straight in, I have them not completely sideways, but tilted-more like they would be in a nest. I want to be able to see around the egg when I am looking in the window-and also if one pips low, I want to see it. I dont know why they didnt just make the top of the LG incubator clear so the hatchees' (or is it 'hatchers'?) can see the excitement!

We can have hatching vibes at the same time [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    Wet sponge in. Water trays full. Went outsid for a minute to wait for the humidity to raise. I am so nervous! I have had my eggs in a carton lid laying like you have yours since I dont have a turner. I may do the same thing. Put em in 2 trays though one under each window so I can see. I stuck a staw in the water pan and out the hole on the front in case it needs more water. This is gonna be the longest 4 days of my life...

6. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Just wait until they hatch! Your son will love seeing those little puff balls!!

We will sit up together and wait for pips and peeps..I have the weekend off. I just hope this hatch goes better than my last one last week.

Do you have other eggs setting?

7. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I was all set to do the carton method, but decided to set them on the bottom instead. I use shelf liner, so clean up is pretty easy anyway. It was nice to be able to see all of the pips. Good luck!

8. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    This is my first time hatching. I have 13 moving babies. They are frizzle polish silkie mille fleur dominique BO brahma mixes. The roos were frizzle and a polish and not sure what else. Got the eggs off of yellowdragon. She's gonna give me some more frizzle polish when these get done (dont tell my husband!) The stupid humidity isnt raising much. I filled all the water trays and threw a wet sponge in there. How much longer should I wait before I look for another sponge? I am so glad I'll have company waiting for the pips!

9. Mom 2em All

Apr 20, 2008
    Southeast Michigan
    Someone- I think Miss Prissy?- said that maxi pads work great, and I had such a hard time keeping my sponges from drying out that this time...well, thats exactly what I did...grabbed a good ole 'overnighter' and soaked it with overly warm water...and set it down right on the wire grate. Its working great [​IMG] Last time, my 15 year old son showed absolutely no interest in the hatch...but now that I have a pad in there, just watch him show his friends the incubator...[​IMG]

I have begun my peeking in the incubator just to look for wiggles...last time I had one hatch out, my BG, on Day 19...once the checking the incubator starts, there is no stopping until the end..

so far, no wiggles, no peeping.

10. Vamp-A-Billy Princess

Apr 13, 2008
    Indiana
    The humidity is still 52%. I am going to walk away and recheck in an hour. I am losing my mind. I have all the wlls full a wet spnge and 2 cut off dixie cups. It didnt even need water before! Aaaah!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by