1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Time to do seeding...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Toi-toi, Sep 24, 2010.

1. Toi-toi

Toi-toi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Central MA
    It's time to do seeding my lawn.
    I don't do chemicals anymore because of my chickens.
    But seeds are just seeds.
    I thought I would do seeding. Then thought maybe they would eat it...

Do you do seeding chicken area??

2. greenSearcher

greenSearcher Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2010
    Texoma
    I don't do lawns, we live in the country and have mowed pasture grasses. I do reseed the grasses, particularly the old chicken yard when I move the tractors to their seasonal location. I have found a chicken pasture mix from Peaceful Valley Farm and Garden Supply that I want to try next spring (and we don't have cold winters) that includes peas, flax, grasses and other chicken favorites.
    And yes they eat the seeds. The love the tall grasses that have seed heads, the will harvest the seeds moving along the fence.

Do be aware of the seeds you get for your grass. Many of them are treated or coated to encourage germination or discourage insects. I have observed that seeds sold by the chemical companies such as Scott are simply a medium for distributing their chemicals, fertilizers in the case of seed and feed.

3. churchx3

churchx3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2010
    Georgia
    I was considering seeding/fertilizing my bark yard but thought better of the fertilizer anyway because of my chickens...is there something I can put out (i.e. lime??) to act as a natural fertilizer that will not harm chickens?

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Composted chicken poo [​IMG]

5. 1shelby1

1shelby1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2008
    whine cntry,ca.
    Hi -I have used the Peaceful Valley chicken forage mix,it's a great mix!Good tap root on the clover-like plants and the chickens don't seem to be able to scratch it 'clean'.I like it because it's an omega blend,and very green.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by