Time to Fight for YOUR rights

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by GreenLivingTpa, Feb 17, 2012.

1. GreenLivingTpa

GreenLivingTpa New Egg

Feb 17, 2012
    I wrote this in response to a person who posted about being forced to give up her chickens. Basically, the Tampa ordinance is fairly specific and it is what it is. In Hillsborough, where there is no specific chicken ordinance, it all comes down to whether or not your chicken activities have become such an annoyance that it keeps your neighbor from the "peaceful enjoyment of their property." A few chickens, 180' from someone's home or patio, would not constitute an abridgment of someones ability to enjoy their property. If you find yourself being cited by a Code Enforcement Officer, you can appeal it at a Code Enforcement Hearing. You would probably win. I AM NOT A LAWYER, but I have a logical mind and a determination to maintain my own rights. My philosophy is to never back down if the point is a gray area. The code enforcement guy had to do his job, but s/he is not the final word, ever. Take it to appeal and if you take some video or pix, your property measurements and layout, and then maybe get a statement from your neighbors that they don't find your chickens annoying even though they are closer than the other neighbor, then you have a strong chance of winning. The problem these days is that the selfish/controlling people who like to fight are running all over the good people who don't like to fight. Time to man up, people. No reason why confrontational anti-social personalities should rule, unless you let them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by