Time to get a bigger feeder and waterer

whispurr

Songster
Mar 23, 2022
My chicks are getting too big for the chick feeder and waterer I got when I bought them. I have 4 hens and 2 roosters currently. There are a lot of options for these things, size, delivery, style... What would be ideal for my small flock? Something that doesn't freeze in the winter?

Thank you!

My chicks are getting too big for the chick feeder and waterer I got when I bought them. I have 4 hens and 2 roosters currently. There are a lot of options for these things, size, delivery, style... What would be ideal for my small flock? Something that doesn't freeze in the winter?

Thank you!
I keep several waterers in different places for my flock of 7. We will be hot in the high 90s all next week. Ugh!
They are all different sizes and types. I have a metal one that sits on a warmer in the winter to keep it from freezing. I have a small one that hangs when I want to add hydro hen or an elderberry drink. And a 2 gallon waterer on a stand.
You can’t add supplements to the metal tin, but you can to the plastic waterers, but just keep out of the sun.

I keep several waterers in different places for my flock of 7. We will be hot in the high 90s all next week. Ugh!
They are all different sizes and types. I have a metal one that sits on a warmer in the winter to keep it from freezing. I have a small one that hangs when I want to add hydro hen or an elderberry drink. And a 2 gallon waterer on a stand.
You can’t add supplements to the metal tin, but you can to the plastic waterers, but just keep out of the sun.
Thank you. That really helps! But why are you giving them elderberry? Or hydro hen? When I was looking at them on Chewy, I thought about the metal ones but how would you know it was low? Thanks again!

I thought about the metal ones but how would you know it was low?
This is a good consideration. My plastic waterers/feeders are translucent enough to glance at from a distance. If you can't see in from afar you'll have to get a-near.

I really like to hang feeders and waterers for cleanliness. Otherwise, elevated on lumber scraps or log cuts that are too short for decent firewood. Not compatible with some feeders with "domed" bottoms since they tip so easily.

How cold are your winters? Mine are mild enough that I filled stainless steel bowls with hot tap water on cold days. The gals seemed to enjoy the "morning tea."

It can get into the teens in the winter here.
My night time lows get a bit lower than that, daytime lows occasionally stay below freezing. I have a stainless steel bowl with a weighted bottom and straight sides. Most of the year it's a treat bowl. This winter, I set it in the sunshine and filled with hot water. Ice slid out of it pretty easily due to it's shape. Most days it stayed liquid all day. If you find it doesn't work it would still be compatible with many heaters. And barring that a good treat bowl. Bear in mind I'm a pretty extreme cheapskate. I'll deal with frustration to save cash. If you don't mind spending a bit of money then other options would be more convenient.

Back
Top Bottom