time to get rid of 2 roos

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jtr, Jun 23, 2011.

1. jtr

jtr Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    i ended up with 3 roos out of ten rir. they are 11 weeks old. one of my 7 week old leghorns got in with them and the roos had her stuck between the seperater of a center block. i went out there and one of the roos was being extremly mean like pecking its ead HARD!!!!! it was not bloody but it is like it has a concusion. half of her comb is gone pecked away so i got her back into her pen and she went under the roost and laid down. she did get up when all the others left her. i have no idea how long she was out there. i just want to know if she will be ok or should i get her away from the other 7 week olds because she has some blood on her comb. i will keep you updated to see how she is donig if u want. hope shee makes it [​IMG]

2. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    My DH culled 2 of our 20 week old, RIR, roosters last weekend. In my opinion, they were just old enough to have enough meat to make it worth the effort.
    To answer your question about isolating the injured hen, I guess it depends on how bad the injury is.... You could try posting a picture of the hen in the injury and emergency section to get a better answer. My hens often have a little blood on their combs from fighting, and they heal-up just fine without any interference from me. However, if the injury is particularly bad, it my cause the other chickens to continue pecking at it. You may want to isolate the hen in a cage inside the coop, so she can still see the other chickens and be more comfortable, in a place she is familiar with. Hope she gets better and do keep us posted.

3. jtr

May 6, 2011
    she is only in with the 7 week olds not the 11 week olds they all were together since they were a week old they are fine idk how she got in with the reds
    now she just lays there but she is alert so im not to worried and it has stoped bleeding there is some dried on though

4. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    Glad to hear she has stopped bleeding and is doing better [​IMG]

5. jtr

May 6, 2011
    i just went out and she was up and walking around and eating

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by