Time to go outside?!

4Duckssofar

Chirping
Apr 16, 2021
Hi everyone, I’m a first time duck owner and hoping to get some advice. I have (so far) 4 Aylesbury ducks, two are 10 weeks old and the younger two are 8 weeks old. I am in the UK, our daytime temperature is roughly 10 degrees at the moment but our night time temperatures are between 3 and -3.

My question is, can I put them all outside over night now? They are currently in a pen indoors as I was worried it would be too cold outside. They all are happy, healthy ducks, the only thing I have started to notice is that they have started to pant and I’m concerned it’s too warm for them to be inside now. I have added a picture so you can see how feathery they are (the radiator in the background never goes on).

I love them so much and maybe I’m being over protective but I just want to get it right so they continue being the happy little ducks they are.

Any help/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• 512E1BF9-3C2E-4357-BCF3-5A8864A4D880.jpeg
    512E1BF9-3C2E-4357-BCF3-5A8864A4D880.jpeg
    671.8 KB · Views: 21
personally i would keep them in because too big of a temperature drop at once (warm inside to freezing outside) could shock them
Ok, thank you, I did think that would be the case, I just didn’t want to be depriving them of the outside as they absolutely love the warmer days out there, I always feel mean bringing them indoors but totally get that the temperature at night would be a shock to them. What would be the ideal night temperature to put them out permanently?

I just didn’t want to be depriving them of the outside as they absolutely love the warmer days out there, I always feel mean bringing them indoors but totally get that the temperature at night would be a shock to them. What would be the ideal night temperature to put them out permanently?
Just work up to it gradually:
--constantly indoors when very young, with heat provided
--indoors, no heat
--outdoors for part of the day on warm days, indoors at night
--outdoors all day, even when it is not warm, still indoors at night
--outdoors at night too, but try to pick a warmer night than usual for their very first night out

That's actually the sequence I use for chicks, but I'm pretty sure it works fine for ducklings too. I move from one stage to the next based on how the birds are acting at what temperature, what the weather is like, and how busy I am (carrying them in and out each day takes extra time.)

They are very adorable.

If you have a predator proof enclosed space for them outside I would personally slowly lower the temperature they are exposed to and acclimate them to outdoor temperatures.

If you provide them with deep bedding and a draft free sleeping space they will have each other to snuggle with and keep warm.

Ducks aren't like us and can tolerate and enjoy temperatures a lot colder than we can. My ducks go swimming in ice water while I'm shivering wearing my best winter gear.

Back
Top Bottom