Time to kill?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by jgray1978, Jan 20, 2013.

1. jgray1978

jgray1978 New Egg

Jul 10, 2012
    We are new to the chicken game. We started with 10 chicks from Atwoods. 5 appear to be white rocks and 5 appear to be Buff Orpingtons. Then we later got 15 more chicks from a local guy on craigslist. 10 Rhode Island Reds and 5 (supposed) White Rocks. Tuesday the latest batch will be 10 weeks old. One of the white rocks has gotten heavier then all of the other birds (first and second batch). He weighs in between 6 and 7 lbs. We've figured that he is going to have to be slaughtered and am wondering what y'all think.

Tonight I was informed that he seems to make strange noises breathing. I went to get him and isolate him so that he would empty and he was bleeding from just above his vent towards his abdomen. Another chicken pecked a feather out of her when I was pulling her out. I assume that the bleeding is from being pecked. Is the meat still safe to eat?

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Sounds like you got a cornish cross in your Rocks. They're the meat birds that grow crazy fast and have a high tendancy to die if not butchered around 8 weeks. Seems like it's time. Bird's fine to eat with the little damage you're talking about.

3. jgray1978

jgray1978 New Egg

Jul 10, 2012
    I've wondered that but supposedly these were all hatched.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    I'd have to agree that it sounds like a cornish cross. Dual purpose birds don't get that big, that quick.

It will be fine to process.

5. jgray1978

jgray1978 New Egg

Jul 10, 2012
    Well, Big Bird (as we called him) is in the fridge. This was my first time. That was an experience...But fairly straight forward.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by