Time to Move Chicks Outdoors?

Guavacoop

Chirping
13 Years
Jun 30, 2007
We just embarked on our first chickens, so we maybe are a little over-protective. We have 4 chicks indoors with a 100 watt heat lamp, 6 weeks old and appearing to have full feathers. We're in Berkeley, California, where it gets down to about 53 at night these days. First question: Is it ok to leave them in their coop overnight now without any heat? Second question: Is it ok to leave them in the coop overnight with the coop door open -- we have a safe enclosure around the coop to protect them from predators -- will they be able to stay warm enough with the door open?

Thanks for any advice.
Guavacoop

ChickenCanoe

Enabler
Premium Feather Member
10 Years
Nov 23, 2010
St. Louis, MO
They're probably feathered out enough to handle that temp.
I raise chicks in a cold building and heat lamps which replicate a hen. They usually spend more time in the cold space.
At that ambient temp I wouldn't worry about them.
If they are protected from predators, don't worry about temps.
Depending on the breed, most are quite cold hardy. They wear a down jacket.

Guavacoop

Chirping
13 Years
Jun 30, 2007
Thanks. We have 2 Americaunas, 1 Austrolorp, and 1 Red Star. Do you know if they are hardy?

debid

Free Ranging
10 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
I happen to have feathered six week old chicks as well. Mine are outside with no lamp now. They haven't used the lamp in about a week. It's 46 and raining today. They aren't even huddled. It's really OK -- their feathers are quite warm.

Mine have a small coop and secure run with no pop door so the air moves a little in there. IMO, the wind is blocked well enough if their feathers aren't being ruffled when indoors. It's nowhere near freezing -- a draft isn't going to hurt them at this point. It's more a concern when they are covered in fluff.

Last edited:

gardendufus

Songster
8 Years
Nov 28, 2011
CO Springs-First Chics 3/2/12
My 4 week old chicks are outside in the coop. I have provided a heat lamp but for the last week or so they have opted NOT to stay under it. It was something like 11* here last night and they slept about 6 feet away from the heat lamp which I will be removing today.

debid

Free Ranging
10 Years
Jan 20, 2011
middle TN
My 4 week old chicks are outside in the coop.  I have provided a heat lamp but for the last week or so they have opted NOT to stay under it.  It was something like 11* here last night and they slept about 6 feet away from the heat lamp which I will be removing today.

11C or 11F? Big difference...

Top Bottom