Time to Move !!!!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ilovechickens, Dec 8, 2008.

1. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    I have a hen Patience that hatched a chick soon to be six weeks on Friday. Ittsy, and her mom are in a separate cage. It is time to move them in with the other Bantams. 1 Rooster named Scooter, two red frizzled named Reba, and Fuzzy, and one other Golden laced Cochin named Lacy. How do I go about doing this, the mother seems to not want to be in the cage with the chick. I did let her out a week ago and she went and didn't come back to her chick. So I caught her and put her and Ittsy back. Now with the weather here being so so cold. -10 below on Sunday Morning, it is time to get them together. I did this once before with a hen, but she was a good mom and protected her chick. I have everything shut up do to the weather, so I thought that this would be the time to do it. Any suggestions, I don't want to lose the chick, but I need to combine. They share the coop with 8 Guineas in their own section, and 6 Large Cochins, and 3 Easter Eggers, and 1 half and half also in their own part of the coop. I am up for suggestions. The chick is fully feathered.[​IMG]

2. crazychicken

crazychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2008
    NC
    i lost a 4.5 month old chick to the cold put a brooder lamp in her pen. would be my suggestion.

3. ilovechickens

ilovechickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2008
    West Central Wisconsin
    would I need to do that with her mom and the other chickens in there:idunno Right now they don't have a heat lamp, I have two lights in the coop one in with the Guineas, and one in the larger area so they would lay.

4. birdlover

birdlover Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Northern Va.
    Whatever you do, I would keep a VERY close eye on things for the first couple of days/nights. The mother will probably just go up on the roost with the others and not even worry about her baby and the baby will be totally confused. You may need to put the baby with the mom when she's on the roost. At six weeks, the mom is at a point where lots of hens give their chicks the boot, including mine. Yes, and I would be sure there is a heat lamp in there over the area where the baby roosts. I worry though (and it's not even my baby!!!!) that the mother will peck the baby and make her jump down. I've seen that happen many times with mine but I didn't have to deal with that in these awful frigid temperatures. Best of luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by