Time to play- Is she a he????

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by j mo1, Nov 3, 2010.

1. j mo1

j mo1 New Egg

May 27, 2010
    Ok all you sleuths thanks for playing, here are some photos and clues for you to help me determine if my chicken is a roo or hen. If you could provide me with info on why you think this is a roo or hen instead of a "gut" feeling that would be great so I can figure out what to do.

Born on June 6th
    None are laying eggs yet
    The barred rock w the smallish comb is the lead chicken
    No crowing or anything like that
    legs have no signs of spurs
    the comb and wattle just shot out of nowhere...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks!

2. WYOwhy

WYOwhy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 10, 2010
    Wyoming
    I'm no expert, but the lack of saddle feathers on a BR of that age makes me vote for pullet. I've seen some pictures of BRs with combs like that when they are laying.

3. shell25

shell25 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2010
    Derbyshire
    Im no expert either, but i believe BR roos to be alot lighter in colour, im new on here aswell and remember seeing a thread that stated the comb becomes more redder when they are ready to lay. So maybe you have a pullet thats going to give you some eggs very soon.

4. allieloveschickens

allieloveschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

May 20, 2010
    San Diego
    I think its a girl- one of my pullets grew a big comb and wattles before the rest too.

5. dntd

dntd Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2009
    It looks like that one is about to lay any time now.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  6. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
  7. Ken F

Ken F Out Of The Brooder

Mar 20, 2010
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    I agree that she's a pullet. I have 6 BR pullets (now 30 weeks old). Two of them got large combs and wattles at 16 weeks and began laying at 18.5 weeks.
    I have also read that cockerels are much light in color, almost a reverse of the hen's barring.

8. Mtn Cur

Mtn Cur Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 5, 2010
    Seymour, Tn
    pullet with a big comb and wattles

And get ready for your BR's to beat the crap out of your speckled sussex's. I got rid of my BR's because they were more chicken aggressive than my game hens.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2010
  9. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    It does have a rooish comb and wattles but I think pullet too. I have 2 roos that was born June 1st one is darker one lighter but they have long tail feathers and their saddle feathers and hackle feathers are longer than the picture of yours also they have crowed for awhile. One since he was 6 weeks old.

10. j mo1

j mo1 New Egg

May 27, 2010
    Thanks everyone! I sure hope shes a SHE.....

So far the speckled and the barred rocks seem to get along fine. My S.S. tend to keep to themselves and are amazing foragers, while the BR's are basically beggers, though they are begining to pick up a few survival tips form the S.S.'s.

The only thing I dont care for about the S.S's is that they can make my yard look like a tornado blew thru in less than two hours!

When am I going to get eggs?! Im in San Diego and we dont really do "Winters" here, I figured id be making frittatas by now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by