Time to put back in coop?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jackhorn01, Aug 15, 2013.

1. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    A couple weeks ago I had a young pullet, approx 21/2- mos old, get caught in the fencing I was using as a divider to keep the lil girls seperate from the big ones and they worker her over pretty good. She was pretty much scalped. I put medicine on it and isolated her in a little make shift pen inside my house. She has all her energy back and has pretty much fully recovered except for a bare spot about the size of a nickel still on the top of her head. The new skin has begun to grow back around the sides and it is looking good. Do you guys thing its safe to put her back in with the others now or not due to that bald spot?

2. ernie85017

ernie85017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2012
    Her mates will go after that spot if there is any color showing. Blu kote is said to help with picking, but it is also said to NOT help with picking.

After such a long absence, the others will not remember her, and even her size mates will go after her. Possibly put cage inside their pen so they can get used to each other again. When she does go in the pen proper, supervise. When I got my new girls it look over a month for things to settle down to a reasonable amount of b*tchyness.

3. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    I would definitely use BluKote on it since it worked for my scalped Polish chicken. I agree with ernie85017 about separating her with a fence, and then take the meekest, nicest chicken and move her in as a friend. Then after a period of a week or so, try them all together, but watch out for any aggression.

4. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    I may even let it grow a little more skin first also, her and the ones she would bein with are only 9 weeks old. So they aren't total butt heads yet lol. That may help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by