Time to put them out?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 16chickadees, Jun 9, 2011.

1. 16chickadees

16chickadees Out Of The Brooder

May 9, 2011
    I have a flock of 16 outside at the moment they're about 4 or 41/2 months old now. I got 6 new baby ones though. they are still in a box inside my room. With my older ones when they were little I waited until all their fluf was gone and they were starting to get big to put them outside. I had gotten them when it was cold though. So now its summer and our lows are in the 50s and highs in the 90s. Could I put my new baby ones out before all their fluff is gone because its warmer? Or should I wait?

2. emptynester

emptynester Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    How old are the babies? Since they should start out at 95 degrees - and each week you could lower it 5 degrees- you are looking at not putting them out before they are 10 weeks old since it is 50 degrees at night. I would imagine if you had an outdoor brooder you could put them outside around 4- 6 weeks old for the day, but bring them in at night.

I have only been at this for a year, so I am sure someone with more experience will come along soon [​IMG]

3. 16chickadees

May 9, 2011
    They are about 3 or 4 weeks old and I do have an inclosed coop. I don't let any of my chickens do free range. I would take them in at night for awhile but I wasn't sure if I should put them outside during the day... and would they mingle well with my older chickens? One night a little while ago one of my mamas had a problem so I let her sleep inside with the babies and there wasn't a problem. I don't know if that's just because she is one of the calmer ones, because she was cold and tired or if they just got along well.

4. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    Quote:Please don't put the chicks outside with 4.5-month old pullets! Chickens should be as close to the same size as possible before they're introduced to one another. The older birds might very well kill your chicks.

5. 16chickadees

May 9, 2011
    Quote:Please don't put the chicks outside with 4.5-month old pullets! Chickens should be as close to the same size as possible before they're introduced to one another. The older birds might very well kill your chicks.

But the one that came in was really nice to them and the other ones are really nice to. I could try to keep them in but they've been jumping out of their box and running around my room. I don't want them to get hurt though o.o What if I stayed out there the whole time my babies are out and watched them? Then brought them back in when I go in?

6. emptynester

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    No, you can not put the babies with the older ones. You may have had a lucky night, but don't expect that in the future to be the norm. All it takes is one of the older chickens to start pecking at the babies and they will all be dead very quickly.

7. 16chickadees

May 9, 2011
    [​IMG] I don't want them to die!! Ok I guess I won't put them out them )=

8. emptynester

Mar 23, 2011
    Beaufort, SC
    It will be worth the wait in the long run [​IMG]

9. 16chickadees

May 9, 2011
    Alrighty. I'll wait.

Thanks everyone for your help!

10. Blue

Blue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 6, 2010
    Virginia

But the one that came in was really nice to them and the other ones are really nice to. I could try to keep them in but they've been jumping out of their box and running around my room. I don't want them to get hurt though o.o What if I stayed out there the whole time my babies are out and watched them? Then brought them back in when I go in?

If you can stay out and watch them, it would probably be best. Sometimes fights can break out among chickens, and the smaller ones wouldn't stand a chance if the bigger hens decided to pick on them. It's probably a good idea not to leave them unsupervised with the other chickens until they are all close to the same size. That way, even if they got picked on by the others, they would be large enough to stand up for themselves.

Also, is there any way you could cover your brooder, like with some wire or some of the plastic netting maybe?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by