1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Time to RIP off the band-aid!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Dar, Aug 3, 2011.

1. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    I have 4 dogs 3 min pins and 1 toy fox terrier. The TFT is house broken and she has been for a LOOONG time (she is a senior dog) My min pins one is 3 the other 2 are 18 months old. My min pins will do the deed outside BUT they still also rely on their pee pad. I am finding they are going in cycles.. some days they hardly use the pee pad and other days I can go through 2 in a day.

the plus side of the pee pad is well no pee on the floor... and when the coyotes are close like the were last week (10 feet from my back door) they can use the pad I dont have to worry about one of them scattering in the trees. and the TFT will go to the front yard and watching 1 dog instead of 4 the TFT will pee and get back in the min pins will go for a stroll before going the deed.

my dogs are trained NOT to pee on a lead, BUT I cant keep a lead on them all the time while in the house to break the pee pad habit.

I got to stop the pee pad madness. .. for the record their breeder had NOT been able to get her the parents 100% pee pad free.. she still has them down "in case" and they are used

Last edited: Aug 3, 2011
  2. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    never liked pee pads. little dogs are notoriously stuborn about house breaking so good luck!
    Can you fence in a small area (use an outside dog kennel) to let them out in?

oh yeah, shoot the coyotes!!

3. coreybee

coreybee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Nottingham, PA
    I always tell puppy owners to never use a pee pad in the house. You are in theory training your dog to pee... in the house. Try moving the pee pad closer to the door, then moving it outside onto the stoop/porch/deck, and finally into the yard. I'm sure this will take severla weeks, but it may just work. Oh... and LOTS of treats when they do it in the right place. If all else fails you may have to resort back to crate training until they "get" it.

That's my 2 cents.

4. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    the pee pad is by the door and they are crate trained...

5. coreybee

coreybee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2011
    Nottingham, PA
    Quote:I would remove the pee pad then (or put it outside). All of their time will have to be monitored for it to work... so no unsupervised time (yes I know it's a pain). As long as they don't pee in their crates, you should have them housebroken or well on their way pretty quickly.

Good Luck!

6. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:I would remove the pee pad then (or put it outside). All of their time will have to be monitored for it to work... so no unsupervised time (yes I know it's a pain). As long as they don't pee in their crates, you should have them housebroken or well on their way pretty quickly.

Good Luck!

thats my plan... when the rain stops [​IMG]

7. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    **UPDATE**

I ripped off the band-aid this morning.. no more pee pad... I washed the floor with a mild bleach solution (one cap full of bleach for 2 liters of water) hoping to kill smells.. wish me luck

8. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    Is there any way you can make them a doggy door with a very small enclosure on the inside, and a larger, predator proof run on the outside, with the pee pad outside? That will help them do better, way less headache for you... Good luck. It's hard sometimes. If they are intact, it can be harder still.

9. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    What is the exact schedule and method you are using right now for pee breaks? Do they walk outside on their own? Did the breeder have them in a small whelping box, or in a larger area?

10. Dar

Jul 31, 2008
    Quote:they are spayed... and no way to do a doggie door and run.. I would have to cut a steel door... not happening this place is hard enough to heat without the added openings..LOL OR cut bricks.. my exterior walls are double brick 150 years old

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by