Time to Say Good-Bye

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by drdoolittle, May 13, 2011.

1. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    It's going to be kind of a sad weekend around here. I've finally decided that ducks are just too much for me along with all my chickens and goats, and am selling them to a co-worker along with my 2 geese. I'll miss them, but they are so much work, especially the way they dirty up everyone elses water during the day and coat their bedding with poop during the night.

There is an up-side to this, as I'll be able to use their pen for my silkies/SGs, and then move half of my chicks outside (from the garage) to the former silkie/SG pen. Still, I will miss those cute ducks, and the funny geese.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  2. annie3001

annie3001 My Girls

Jun 11, 2009
    Ct.
    so sorry you have to go thru this. [​IMG]

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Ducks aren't for everyone. If you are sending them to a good home, no need to feel sad. Some of us nutbags don't mind duck slop one bit.

I think because I live in a dry climate AND raised 2 boys who are only 16 months apart, the mess the ducks made doesn't even phase me. I had proper training [​IMG]

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  4. jojo@rolling acres farm

[email protected] acres farm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    Nebraska
    It is finally clear to me...Wifezilla hit the nail on the head...I'm the Mother of two boys as well - that's why the duck mess isn't an issue for me...who knew????!!!

OP - you're doing the right thing - enjoy your chicks & Silkies!

5. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Some of us are just PUDDLEJUMPERS![​IMG]

6. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    I got boys 16 months apart too, that must explain why people think I am nuts with the ducks. LOL

7. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, I actually have 3 boys----although they are older (19, 16, and 12) their sloppy messes have not gone away, just evolved! It's not so much that the ducks are messy, but that they are in a large (100' x 100') community pen all day long with my goats and all my chickens, and they completely muddy up every available water source. I'm a little sad about the parting, and I really do love the ducks, but if I ever get ducks again, it won't be unless I have a proper pond for them.

8. Yetti

Yetti Chillin' With My Peeps

[email protected] acres farm :

It is finally clear to me...Wifezilla hit the nail on the head...I'm the Mother of two boys as well - that's why the duck mess isn't an issue for me...who knew????!!!

That must be why taking care of them comes easy to me and the wife. we have two teenagers and the mess can over whelming from them at times. the ducks are way easier.

Dr.D sounds like you made the right choice if its too much work. I got my little guys to get me off my butt.​

9. drdoolittle

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    Well, I'm supposed to take them to their new home today (have to call my co-worker soon to see when he wants me to bring them). I don't know if I can do it. [​IMG]

I've had these ducks since they hatched last summer and I have a problem with projecting human emotions onto my animals-----so I keep thinking they're going to be scared, and wondering what the heck is going on and how soon they will be able to come home. Ridiculous, I know, but that's me. My co-worker won't be upset if I decide to keep the ducks and geese, but might think I'm wishy/washy. I guess if I keep them, they could spend the nights in the big coop with my chickens there, and I would still have the extra space I was needing........................[​IMG] HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. DuckDuckDuckGoose

DuckDuckDuckGoose Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    The Great Northwest
    [email protected] acres farm :

JoJo- I have seen "OP" used in multiple threads and I was wondering what it means? I thought it was "other picture" but now im not sure:confused: if you could help me out here that would be great. Thanks T.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by