Time to switch to egglaying pellets?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Flyboy718, Dec 23, 2011.

1. Flyboy718

Flyboy718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2011
    My barred rocks are 18 weeks old...I think they probably should begin to lay at 20 weeks...well, I am again out of starter/grower feed and I don't want to go buy another 50 pound bag because in two weeks they will be laying...can I just go ahead and start feeding them laying pellets?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

You could/can go either way. It matters not. If you have shells on the side, there's not need for layer at all. They'll start spottily and slowly. It is winter. It isn't like they are going to suddenly all lay on the same day and every day. It takes some time. So, again, either would be fine. Unless for some reason a bag lasts you two or three months or something. 9 Barred Rocks, at that age, would likely scarf through another bag of grower easily, in time. Love the breed.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  3. Flyboy718

Jul 27, 2011
    Hmmm...thinking of the extra protein that comes with the grower/starter. If I decided to get another bag of the grower/starter then I would need to have some shells (calcium supplement) also for their consumption?

4. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Quote:Nah. 9 Barred Rocks nearing point of lay, are huge eaters. (ask me how I know!!!). Having some shells around wouldn't hurt, that's for sure. I've never actually purchased oyster shell. Never saw the need, actually. Shells as hard as rocks. I do re-cycle all the egg shells, however. Those are free.

Your pullets will gobble up another bag in what? 3 weeks, 4 at the most? Again, it just doesn't matter. It isn't as if a layer, at her very first, tiny, little ol' pullet egg suddenly becomes calcium deprived. LOL

All feed has calcium. It is just a matter of how much. It frankly just doesn't matter which one you buy at this point.

5. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    Yes, you want to put a separate dish out there with oyster shell. A sour cream container nailed to the wall of the coop works great. As for the feed, it doesn't really matter. They'll do fine on grower or pellets. You may want to mix the 2 since they aren't used to pellets.

6. Flyboy718

Jul 27, 2011
    Fred's Hens :

Quote:Nah. 9 Barred Rocks nearing point of lay, are huge eaters. (ask me how I know!!!). Having some shells around wouldn't hurt, that's for sure. I've never actually purchased oyster shell. Never saw the need, actually. Shells as hard as rocks. I do re-cycle all the egg shells, however. Those are free.

Your pullets will gobble up another bag in what? 3 weeks, 4 at the most? Again, it just doesn't matter. It isn't as if a layer, at her very first, tiny, little ol' pullet egg suddenly becomes calcium deprived. LOL

All feed has calcium. It is just a matter of how much. It frankly just doesn't matter which one you buy at this point.

I recon I will just go with the grower again then...unless the pellets are somewhat cheaper. I have a feeling they will start laying somewhere inside of that bag and I will go get a bag of pellets and mix the two until grower is gone and should be good to go.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by