Time to thin the flock!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by ThorsHammer, Aug 31, 2014.

1. ThorsHammer

ThorsHammer Out Of The Brooder

May 26, 2013
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    I started 2014 with two roosters and two hens. I am not sure what breed they are because all were given to me by people that did not know what they were either. Three are very small Chickens so i suspect Banthams and one is a lot larger that came from TS.

Well.......nature took its course and I find myself with 12 chickens. I need to give away 4 of the chicks to make more room. I would like for it to be all roosters that thin out.

The predicament. I have 8 chicks that are now 4 months old. I still do not know which ones are roosters and which are hens. I suspect by the way they act that I have 3 Roosters and 5 Hens. None of them have started crowing so that method of ID is still a few weeks away.

At four months is there any specific way to tell which are the roosters?

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Post pictures. By 4 months we should be able to make some educated guesses.

3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    you should be seeing a difference in the shape of the hackle feather, length of tail and size of comb/wattles. Check the hackle feathers. The end of the hackle feather on the pullet is rounded. In the cockerel it comes to a point.
    Best,
    Karen

4. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    If you can figure out how to post pics here, our members can probably tell you with reasonable or even actual certainty, at this age. Post them HERE. Ane HERE are some guidelines for the kind of pics that thelp most.

Roosters generally have slightly thicker legs and larger combs and wattles. They tend to "stand taller."
    sometimes they have a bit more domineering or aggressive behavior. They may also have begun developing long, thin feathers from their "shoulders" and from across their lower back, called hackle and saddle feathers. There are other signs specific to some breeds.

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Posting photos is probably the best bet for you right now but this thread gives you some ideas of what we would be looking for. For certain breeds or crosses it can still be a bit challenging at four months but most should be fairly easy once you learn what to look for.

How to sex chicks
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48329

6. ThorsHammer

May 26, 2013
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    The adult chickens. Two hens and the small rooster. The other Rooster would not cooperate for his picture.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. ThorsHammer

May 26, 2013
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    The 4 month old chicks

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. ThorsHammer

May 26, 2013
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    [​IMG]

9. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I have no input, just wanted to say that I love the variety in your flock [​IMG]

10. ThorsHammer

May 26, 2013
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Thank you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by