Time to Try to Sex EEs 9 Weeks

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by MissD'uccle, May 25, 2010.

1. MissD'uccle

MissD'uccle Cluck of My Life

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    Alright my babies (EE) are 9 weeks old. I am only putting up the ones that I have under roo-roo suspicion. [​IMG]

Chick #1
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #2
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Chick #3
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    number 2 chicken looks the most like a rooster to me sorry not much help on the other 2 some things say rooster others say pullet guess wait for an egg or a crow sorry...not much help newbie here also. hopefully someone with more knowledge of EE's will chime in

3. never_ending_fermata

never_ending_fermata Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2008
    Northern New Jersey
    1 and 2 are roos. not sure about 3.

4. MissD'uccle

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    Someone is crowing, i'm just not 100% sure WHO yet [​IMG] Thanks for the input ya'll. I figured 1 and 2 for sure....I flip flop on #3 daily! I got two white ones and was hoping one was a hen.... I'll keep on waiting [​IMG]

5. littlepeeps

littlepeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    London
    I am totally new to this, and trying to sex my EE/AM chicks. I guess I looked up everything else about the breed, but how to sex them!! From what I can tell, mine are 'Silvers' from the pics of chicks on the ACB website.
    I know that some can be late bloomers, but I am hoping to cul the early bloomers (before they crow, they are not legal and I have a few neighbours that are 'twitchy').
    Mine are about 5 weeks old, and some have red/pink showing up on their combs and faces. Roos? Some have enlarged combs starting, others do not.
    Is it too early to tell?
    I am trying to get pictures, but nothing is showing the red/pink. Will keep trying.
    Thanks so much!

6. MissD'uccle

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    I've always been told that the best way with pea combs is to look at the rows. Roos will have three distinct rows (chick #2 first pic shows it pretty good) that are similar in size whereas the pullets will appear to have a more singular row chick #3 first pic seems to have this.. (middle row shows a little and the outer two are less prominant).... I hope I explained that right/well [​IMG] I'm pretty new to EE's also. Red color change is always a good indicator to start looking harder at a specific chick, but I've noticed some of my girls get pretty darn red too so thats a toss up. Try to get some pics up as the people on BYC are always willing to help! [​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2010
  7. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    All 3 look like roos to me

8. MissD'uccle

Dec 16, 2009
    Elba Twp, MI
    Littlepeeps : Here is a pic of some of my girls. Maybe this will help ya for comparison [​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. littlepeeps

littlepeeps Out Of The Brooder

May 25, 2010
    London
    OMG, do I have a new respect for good chicken pictures!! I spent the better part of 30 minutes trying to get a good one of their red combs.

Red
    [​IMG]
    Red
    [​IMG]
    Not Red (yet?)
    [​IMG]
    Sorry about the poor quality, will keep trying for better pics.

What do you think, Roos? To early to tell?

10. High Roost Ranch

High Roost Ranch The Chicken Whisperer

MissD'Uccle, I am going to say that 1 & 2 are definitely cockerels, 3 may still be a pullet. Love the columbian color of #2!

LittlePeeps, the top two photos are cockerels, the bottom is a pullet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by