Time with eating eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MuskokaChick, Jun 9, 2011.

1. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    Do you mark you eggs? And if so...with what?

I am trying to get some silkie chicks and I let my hen sit on 12 eggs she laid, except I candled them and all of them are showing infertile.

I am assuming it is safe to eat these eggs...only been 10 days (2nd hen started laying after)

So at what day can you candle and say...yep infertile...day 10? and then eat them?

2. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    I'm not so sure it would hurt to eat them, but I personally wouldn't. By day 10 you would see a lot of veins and already be able to see the chick growing. It's safe to say that they are infertile. I do mark my eggs, with a pencil. I'm not so sure there is a right thing to use to mark them. Something tells me though, that at day 10 you really wouldn't want to eat them. High temp for 10 days and all. [​IMG]

3. MuskokaChick

MuskokaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2011
    Muskoka Region Ontario
    yeah they are infertile...and yes the hen has sit on them off and on...so yeah probably gross! Thanks

4. Razadia

Razadia The Odd One

Apr 7, 2011
    Montgomery, Alabama
    No problem. I hope next time you get fertile eggs!

5. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

Good God, don't eat them. A chick may not have been growing in there but a lot of other stuff could have been. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Saltysteele

Saltysteele Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    MI
    we used a sharpie, had no problems. some say it's bad, i say i had a pretty dang good hatch for doing something "bad"

7. ICallMyselfCherie'

ICallMyselfCherie' Chillin' With My Peeps

I've used a ball point pen before, it wasn't a very good hatch. But then, they were mailed eggs, so the odds were against them anyways. I have had several more hatches since then, and didn't mark them at all. I've set some more eggs now and they've been marked with a ball point pen again, we'll see. I don't like marking with a pencil because it always seems to rub off too soon.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by