Timeshare Vacations?????

If there in a nice place, they're fine.

But generally that means you've got to own one. We've got 2, wish we'd never done it. Never use 'em and the maintenance fees are exorbitant, not to mention the taxes, etc.

So if you don't own one, don't buy one unless you can get a "used" one cheap.

screw job city!!!! My friend bought one down in SC. He was nickel and dimed to death! Ended up paying some ridiculous price of like $3500 for 5 days!! It was only suppose to be eight to nine hundred a year and you got two weeks. He canceled it and of course there was the ubiquitous cancellation charge of like 800 bucks. Rip-off all the way around.

We have friends that got a time share in Sedona and one in Phoenix. Each worth one week.

One year we went with them to Marco Island, Florida around the end of October. IT WAS FABULOUS!
The place we got had everything you needed. We went to the grocery store, stocked our fridge, cooked a roast and potatoes on Sunday, enjoyed the pool there at the condos where we stayed, loved the beach and travled around... up to Naples, Sanibel Island (but it was right after Charly) We even took a day and headed north to Orlando and did the Universal park thing. FUN! It will always be one of our most memorable vacations. They would NEVER sell their time share. They love it.

They are great but you have to be VERY careful when buying one. I agree buying one used. We bought one being told that it was a yearly then found out it was a tri-annual every 3 years. We got the BBB involved and got all of our money back.

jackie

My in-laws have a time share - we hopped on the offer a few years ago and spent a week in Sedona - Lovely, we hiked all over with kids on our backs, it was really lovely.

My in-laws go there every year.

My grandma has had one for as long as I can remember. Her's is through RCI. We used it growing up to ski in Tahoe every winter. Now that her grandkids are grown, we all share in the expense and take turns using it. We used it in Sedona, AZ (awesome!!) and will be heading to Florida next spring.

As mentioned, I think you need to be SUPER careful. I know it's a bit pricey, but my g-ma has always liked having it. She's traveled all over using it.

Have you been on vacation (not owning a Timeshare) but going to stay where you have to go to the tour? If so, were they pushy and rude or fairly nice and respective.

Last edited:
I own a timeshare...sort of. Its a trailer (caravan) on the coast in Australia. I get to visit about one week a year. It costs me $3500 a year in fees....but I get to keep all my gear (clothes, fisihing rods, prawning lights, kites, surf boards etc) in it.

So why is it like a timeshare? I don't get to use it more than a week a year, its expensive...and i can't share it with others (thats right...the campground rules say I can't et others stay in it!)

So why do I keep it?

Its in one of the most magic places on the planet. A stones throw (literally) from a beautiful pristine lake and only 100 yrds to a beautiful people-free yellow sand beach. Its heaven (with apologies to all the people who take offence to a comparison to the home of the FSM)

To answer the original question, no I haven't ever been on one of those vacations, but yes, they do sure look tempting.
I would think that they would be quite pushy. It's not actually a "vacation" but a sales pitch. Most of them say you will only have to endure a 90 minute presentation, but being they are paying for you to be there, it would only make sense that they would be pressuring for sales.
Now that I think about it, I remember a friend who did one of those many years ago. I recall there being a "processing fee" for the so-called free vacation.
I think it might be ok if you are very much able to resist salespeople. If you are the type who can't give a firm NO, or walk away, then it might not be worth it.
For me, I cannot put "vacation" and "sales" in the same sentence. The word "sales" just doesn't equate with a good time.

Back
Top Bottom