1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Timespan of hatching several quail eggs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by smbarber85, Feb 25, 2015.

1. smbarber85

smbarber85 New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    Hello all, I am a complete newbie at this! I have 12 quail eggs that I'm trying to hatch; today is day 18 and I woke up to find one had hatched but since then nothing else, nor any pipping that I can see but some of the eggs are wiggling. The poor lonely one is just wearing himself out wandering around peeping! What's the normal time span between eggs hatching? I know it probably depends on a lot but I've read in a couple of places they're sometimes within minutes of each other but this doesn't seem to be the case here. Everything went pretty well as far as temp and humidity except for one night where the power (naturally) went out and it got pretty cool in the incubator so I'm sure that'll delay things at best. Let me know any suggestions you might have, thank you!

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome

Glad you could join the flock! I'm afraid there is no definitive answer to give you. Your hatched chick should encourage the others with its peeping. Sometimes they do hatch in just minutes other times it could be hours apart. Each chick is individual and every hatch different.
    Patience is all I can advise now, the eggs moving and rocking means they are getting ready and hopefully should not be long. Here is a nice article on hatching quail https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-quail-eggs-and-brooding-quail-chicks

Wishing you the best of luck and hope you have some more hatchers soon :fl

3. smbarber85

smbarber85 New Egg

Feb 25, 2015
    Thank you! I've had one more since the message, thank goodness so the first one isn't lonely. But nothing since then and that was about 4pm yesterday, and no wiggling that I can see :(. I'll give the others a couple more days just to be sure, but at least I got 2!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by