Timid Cockerel

Kaitlynd12

Chirping
Sep 18, 2020
Hi all! We added a cockerel (Elvis) to our flock about a month and a half ago. He is thought to be about 5-6 months old. We have 8 RIR pullets that are about 8 months old. I added the cockerel for a few reasons, but the main one being we wanted him to rule the roost. We have a pullet who is just a total pain. She is bossy/mean/abusive to the other hens. We have named her Regina George because that’s exactly who she reminds me of. Unfortunately, my cockerel is kind of a wuss. She rules him, and when she starts on him, she eggs the other girls on too (no pun intended). So then it’s a circus of chasing poor Elvis until he has to go hide. Is this just his personality? Will he grow into being an assertive roo? Also, I haven’t heard him crow at all. He doesn’t barely make any noise actually. Any advice would be much appreciated.

He's much younger, and new in the flock, and apparently you have at least one very bossy pullet (no suprise as they are RIRs!). Is he being injured? Are there plenty of spaces for him to be out of sight? More than one feeder and waterer, in separate locations?
Things may work our fine, or not, but he does have to mature a lot more, and then start to win these 'discussions', which might be difficult to watch.
Is this bossy pullet also difficult with her flockmates? maybe pinless peepers, if she's obnoxious towards everyone.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom