Timid Rooster... Future Problem?

Keeperoflock

Songster
Mar 10, 2018
Central Indiana
One of my 6 week old chicks is gonna be a rooster. He's so timid and acts like.... well, a scared chicken. Always is the furthest away from me. He winds up in the corner of the brooder with his head in the corner. Avoids me at all costs. Steps over all the other chicks to get away from me. Is this a good thing or a bad thing? Will he be able to do his "rooster responsibilities" when it comes time?
I've tried to gently socialize him from day one but now I'm afraid he's just anti-social.
He doesn't act sick at all. Eats, drinks everything in that department seems ok. When he sleeps he's always at the furthest side of the brooder. Is this something I should be concerned about or just wait it out?

I had a rooster like that, and it wasn't good. He was a Black Cochin, and he was so nervous and scared when I tried to handle him, he would panic and fly at my head trying to fly over me. It was a complete meltdown each time I tried to touch him.

He was actually more of a challenge to rehabilitate than another rooster I had who was a biter. The way I worked with him was to start slowly by simply being quietly in proximity to him, getting him used to my presence. It was similar to taming a skittish horse.

From there we graduated to holding treats out to him and dropping them a few feet away. After that, I began to hold the treats out to him making him take it from my hand. This took weeks. Eventually, he permitted me to reach out and handle him without freaking out.

If I were you, I would start working with this chick immediately.

I had a rooster like that, and it wasn't good. He was a Black Cochin, and he was so nervous and scared when I tried to handle him, he would panic and fly at my head trying to fly over me. It was a complete meltdown each time I tried to touch him.

He was actually more of a challenge to rehabilitate than another rooster I had who was a biter. The way I worked with him was to start slowly by simply being quietly in proximity to him, getting him used to my presence. It was similar to taming a skittish horse.

From there we graduated to holding treats out to him and dropping them a few feet away. After that, I began to hold the treats out to him making him take it from my hand. This took weeks. Eventually, he permitted me to reach out and handle him without freaking out.

If I were you, I would start working with this chick immediately.

Thank you azygous. It's going to be a challenge but I have had my eye on him for a while now, just observing his behavior and I do believe he's need some TLC and special love.

Was this something I caused or does this just happen sometimes? Poor little guy.... it must be so scary to him for me to approach him. :(

No, you most certainly did not cause this. Just as with people, some chickens are fearful or trusting, outgoing or timid. It's in the genes. But with patience, I can tell you it's possible to calm even the most fearful chicken.

I believe you will have more luck starting your training now than if you wait until after he reaches the hormonal stage, which can make things much more intense.

If you have any problems you'd like feedback on as you embark on this endeavor, feel free to message me.

You're so generous to help me with this guy. Thank you, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions. It's nice to know I have back-up.

I think I have about 4 months or so to bring him around. Hopefully that's enough time.

Time to get busy... Wish me luck!

Back
Top Bottom