Timing for new chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CityGirlintheCountry, Aug 18, 2007.

1. CityGirlintheCountry

CityGirlintheCountry Green Eggs and Hamlet

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I think I've finally found someone to build my chicken coop for me. (I'm a horrible carpenter!).
    My questions is this- it will likely be another couple of months before he will be able to get it done. I have a large dog kennel that I was going to use for the tiny babies. Is it wise to start a new flock in the fall or should I wait until spring? It's dreadfully hot right now in TN. Fall is usually pretty nice and winters are mostly mild. Even so, we still get some mighty cold weather. It just doesn't stick around for too long. Can I go ahead in about a month and order some chicks or should I wait?

thanks,
    CG

2. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

I say go ahead and get them in a month as long as you know the coop will be done. Variety though isn't gong to be as great and if it is cool, you'll have to have them inside for much longer than if you did it in the spring. It is up to you.

3. gretchen13

gretchen13 New Egg

Jun 18, 2007
    Shandon, Calif
    The first few weeks of the chicks life are the most volitile. You'll want to make sure they aren't too warm or too cold. Early fall might work. I kept my chicks in the house for the first two to three weeks until they had a good start on their pin feathers. I did spring just because by the time they did go outside it was warming up. Fall would be tough because when you put them out, it will be getting cooler. Just remember to keep a lamp on them. By two months they are pretty durable; but still offer the lamp and they can cuddle under it if they are cold or stay away from it if they are warm enough.

If you are new to chick raising and you are mail ordering (or getting them from someone who mail ordered them) remember to include a little antibiotic in their water. I didn't do this at first and I lost a chick who otherwise should have been fine.

4. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    I had planned on keeping them inside until they outgrew the kennel. It will stay hot here until October. THEN it will go back to decent temperatures! It doesn't really get COLD cold until January.
    As I've had a few false starts on the coop already, I'm a little gun shy. I want the coop and run to be done and in place before I order the chicks! Too many hawks and coyotes around to free range here!
    Good idea on the antibiotics. I will be sure to do that.

Thanks!
    CG

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Oh no no, don't put antibiotics in the water! That causes more problems down the road by increasing resistant strains of bacteria! Are you sure you didn't mean electrolytes or sugar water. Shipped birds should get a day of electrolytes or sugar water and be kept on medicated feed if you are that worried. NEVER use antibiotics if there is no confirmed bacterial infection. Antibiotics are useless against viruses.

6. CityGirlintheCountry

Jul 7, 2007
    Middle TN
    Eek on the antibiotics!!!

Medicated chick food is good though, right?

CG

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by