1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Tin Foil mirror?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BeautifulBlue, May 4, 2009.

1. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    UK
    Can I use tin foil to make a mirror for my lone chick? Or will this reflect too much heat? Will it even work? It's only in a small brooder, it already has a feather boa, and a teddy in there and it's not even hatched yet lol

Any thoughts?

2. GAchick

GAchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2009
    Pembroke GA
    I guess the standard answer here would be "BUY MORE CHICKS/EGGS" But as far as a mirror goes, why not buy one of those they make for parakeets, if you're worried about breakage?

3. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    Quote:i would say the same thing [​IMG] the more the merrier.

and the parakeet mirrors work great, too.

4. BeautifulBlue

BeautifulBlue Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    UK
    Im hatching another batch of chicks straight after this one hatches, so it will have some buddies, until then I just thought why not make a mirror out of tin foil, which I have readily available, than take a half hour drive to the nearest town to buy a budgie mirror. So does anyone think the tinfoil mirror will work?

5. KattyKillFish

KattyKillFish Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2009
    Dillingham, Alaska
    my baby roo attacked the tin foil siding in his aquarium brooder CONSTANTLY!
    pretty sure it would work [​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2009
  6. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Maybe I'm not understanding how exactly you will be using the foil, but if they have direct access to it, they will peck and tear it, and maybe eat it....I can't help thinking that would not be good for the chick.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by